Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Buckminster » Headless build without RCP(Trying to build non-RCP artifacts for deployment to Tomcat)
Headless build without RCP [message #1353460] Tue, 13 May 2014 23:05 Go to next message
B B is currently offline B BFriend
I've been using headless Buckminster on Jenkins to build an RCP thick-client for about 6 years. Recently I have been tasked with setting up a CI server for a set of Spring applications that run as jars and wars on a set of EC2 instances.

Having familiarity with Jenkins and Buckminster, I elected to try that route. I created OSGi artifacts for the plugins and downloaded Virgo. I created a cpsec and an rmap, which both work well from the Eclipse workbench; I can then use the basic PDE wizards to export my plugins and drop them into Virgo. Those artifacts deploy and run as expected.

The problem is that I want to automate this process and I'm beginning to wonder whether I've misappropriated Buckminster. Everything materializes on my Jenkins server, but all the examples of actually building seem to involve RCP. I think this means that I will need to write my own cspex for starters, and possibly a few Ant files, but all of this leads me to a question: is this effort worthwhile or am I trying to put a square peg into a round hole? I like Buckminster, but I don't want to over-engineer this automated build, if that's what I'm doing.

I guess I could materialize using Buckminster and then run a simple console command that invokes equinox to handle building the artifacts; but I worry about stitching together something that takes a circuitous route to do something that could be handled by a simpler script.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

[Updated on: Tue, 13 May 2014 23:07]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Headless build without RCP [message #1360174 is a reply to message #1353460] Fri, 16 May 2014 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is anyone driving this bus?
Re: Headless build without RCP [message #1360265 is a reply to message #1360174] Fri, 16 May 2014 18:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henrik Lindberg is currently offline Henrik LindbergFriend
On 2014-16-05 19:46, B B wrote:
> Is anyone driving this bus?
Busdriver has the flu atm...

- henrik
Re: Headless build without RCP [message #1360591 is a reply to message #1360265] Fri, 16 May 2014 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bernard Sarter is currently offline Bernard SarterFriend
Hi,

There is this (old) post that explains how to build a war file with buckminster: http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=502137&, it's still working with latest versions of eclipse (with minor adaptations). May be it can also help you.

BR,
Bernard.
Re: Headless build without RCP [message #1367287 is a reply to message #1360591] Mon, 19 May 2014 18:22 Go to previous message
Thanks for the clue, I'll dig through it.
Previous Topic:How to trace version restrictions with Buckminster
Next Topic:buckminster 4.2 requires jgit [2.0.0,3.0.0), but current jgit is 3.3.2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:13:11 GMT 2024