Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Maven Integration (M2E) » [tycho] Newbie: Current capabilities of Tycho
[tycho] Newbie: Current capabilities of Tycho [message #21524] Wed, 28 January 2009 17:30 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: eclipse-news.rizzoweb.com

I'm evaluating Tycho as a potential solution for our plug-in/RCP build
problems. I would like to state our requirements and see if any of them
can not be met with the current state of Tycho.
We develop multiple related plugins and features and package them up as
both an update site (2 update sites, actually) and an RCP application.
We need to be able to do automated, headless builds initiated by any
check-in to our CVS repository.
We have a target platform checked in to CVS that includes the Eclipse
SDK package along with a bunch of other features/plugins; everything can
be built and exported from the Eclipse IDE.

Can Tycho meet these needs (build plugins, features, update sites, and RCP)?


Incidentally, I tried running tycho against our code, following the
example at
http://blogs.sonatype.com/people/2008/11/building-eclipse-pl ugins-with-maven-tycho/
but produced tons of output and eventually failed. I'm not sure if the
failure was due to Tycho not being able to handle our needs, or just
mistakes in the setup or usage.

Eric
Re: [tycho] Newbie: Current capabilities of Tycho [message #21568 is a reply to message #21524] Wed, 28 January 2009 18:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: igor.ifedorenko.com

Eric,

Tycho should be able to do what you need, at least at the high level as
you describe it. The devil is in the details, of course, so I wonder if
you can post build log here (maybe rerun with -X to be sure) or email it
to me directly?

--
Regards,
Igor



Eric Rizzo wrote:
> I'm evaluating Tycho as a potential solution for our plug-in/RCP build
> problems. I would like to state our requirements and see if any of them
> can not be met with the current state of Tycho.
> We develop multiple related plugins and features and package them up as
> both an update site (2 update sites, actually) and an RCP application.
> We need to be able to do automated, headless builds initiated by any
> check-in to our CVS repository.
> We have a target platform checked in to CVS that includes the Eclipse
> SDK package along with a bunch of other features/plugins; everything can
> be built and exported from the Eclipse IDE.
>
> Can Tycho meet these needs (build plugins, features, update sites, and
> RCP)?
>
>
> Incidentally, I tried running tycho against our code, following the
> example at
> http://blogs.sonatype.com/people/2008/11/building-eclipse-pl ugins-with-maven-tycho/
> but produced tons of output and eventually failed. I'm not sure if the
> failure was due to Tycho not being able to handle our needs, or just
> mistakes in the setup or usage.
>
> Eric
Re: [tycho] Newbie: Current capabilities of Tycho [message #21610 is a reply to message #21568] Thu, 29 January 2009 19:19 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: eclipse-news.rizzoweb.com

On 1/28/2009 1:20 PM, Igor Fedorenko wrote:
> Eric,
>
> Tycho should be able to do what you need, at least at the high level as
> you describe it. The devil is in the details, of course, so I wonder if
> you can post build log here (maybe rerun with -X to be sure) or email it
> to me directly?

Thanks for the offer. I really just wanted to know if Tycho is currently
capable of the things we need to do, so you've already helped me by
answering that. At least now I can present it to management as a
possible solution.
At the moment I don't have the time to experiment in any more detail;
after the current milestone of our product is outs I might get
permission to spend some real time on this; at that point I'll post with
logs and details.

Thanks,
Eric



> Eric Rizzo wrote:
>> I'm evaluating Tycho as a potential solution for our plug-in/RCP build
>> problems. I would like to state our requirements and see if any of
>> them can not be met with the current state of Tycho.
>> We develop multiple related plugins and features and package them up
>> as both an update site (2 update sites, actually) and an RCP
>> application. We need to be able to do automated, headless builds
>> initiated by any check-in to our CVS repository.
>> We have a target platform checked in to CVS that includes the Eclipse
>> SDK package along with a bunch of other features/plugins; everything
>> can be built and exported from the Eclipse IDE.
>>
>> Can Tycho meet these needs (build plugins, features, update sites, and
>> RCP)?
>>
>>
>> Incidentally, I tried running tycho against our code, following the
>> example at
>> http://blogs.sonatype.com/people/2008/11/building-eclipse-pl ugins-with-maven-tycho/
>> but produced tons of output and eventually failed. I'm not sure if the
>> failure was due to Tycho not being able to handle our needs, or just
>> mistakes in the setup or usage.
>>
>> Eric
Previous Topic:[tycho] Adding custom dependencies
Next Topic:[tycho-0.3.0-DEV-1983] Issues with product export
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Nov 21 20:31:13 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02562 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software