Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Templates not working
Templates not working [message #1304064] Sat, 19 April 2014 17:04 Go to next message
Arno Schmidt is currently offline Arno SchmidtFriend
Hello Everyone!
I just installed Eclipse Kepler (Build id: 20140224-0627) on a freshly installed Lubuntu 14.04 (64bit, 3.13.0-24-generic kernel).
My problem is that I can't get the templates to work. I created a new Java project, class file etc. and typed "sysout" and hit <Ctrl>+<Space>. From what I've understood (I have never used templates before) Eclipse should now automatically convert this to "System.out.println("")" but it doesn't do anything except underline the word with an error message saying "sysout cannot be resolved to be a variable".
I don't know if it's related but the Code Assist completion generally doesn't work before the first dot ("."); If I type "Syst" and hit <Ctrl>+<Space>, nothing happens. Just as soon as I type "System." all the suggestions pop up.
I have absolutely no clue how to fix this and I couldn't find a solution on the web, but maybe someone of you has an idea what to try...
Re: Templates not working [message #1307840 is a reply to message #1304064] Mon, 21 April 2014 20:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Do you see that template on the Java>Editor>Templates preference page?

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Templates not working [message #1307941 is a reply to message #1307840] Mon, 21 April 2014 21:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, I do. I also tried it with other pre-installed and selfmade templates with the same "result".
Re: Templates not working [message #1307966 is a reply to message #1307941] Mon, 21 April 2014 22:11 Go to previous message
SOLVED:
The problem was a really stupid one: Together with the new Lubuntu version came a new preinstalled tool to quickly switch keyboard layouts/languages. And the sortcut to do this was Ctrl+Space. So I could get the Content Assist to work perfectly again by disabling this tool.
Previous Topic:eclipse startup problem
Next Topic:Eclipse not running certain programs/Java SE crashing
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:35:19 GMT 2024