Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » General (non-technical) » Eclipse Foundation » Any Committer Members?
Any Committer Members? [message #21258] Fri, 15 July 2005 16:34 Go to next message
David Steinberg is currently offline David Steinberg
Messages: 489
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi all,

I notice that there are four different categories of foundation
membership (strategic, add-in provider, associate, and committer), but
that only members belonging to the first three are listed on eclipse.org.

I'm curious if there are, in fact, any committer members and, if so, how
many? It's a particularly interesting category, since it's suggestive
of individuals who are interested in the technology for its own sake,
and not companies interested in the commercialization of it.

Thanks,
Dave
Re: Any Committer Members? [message #21271 is a reply to message #21258] Mon, 18 July 2005 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: john.eclipsefaq.org

My understanding is that anyone with commit rights to any Eclipse
project is a committer member of the foundation. So, there are hundreds
of committer members (I have no idea exactly how many).
--

Dave Steinberg wrote:
> I'm curious if there are, in fact, any committer members and, if so, how
> many? It's a particularly interesting category, since it's suggestive
> of individuals who are interested in the technology for its own sake,
> and not companies interested in the commercialization of it.
Re: Any Committer Members? [message #21284 is a reply to message #21271] Mon, 18 July 2005 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bjorn Freeman-Benson is currently offline Bjorn Freeman-Benson
Messages: 335
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
That's not correct. You can have commit rights without being a
Committer Member of the Foundation. Most committers are not Committer
Members because they are employees of a Member Company. There are a
number of individual Committer Members outside of the Member Companies -
something on the order of three dozen - but I don't have the exact
numbers in front of me. There are a few more people with commit rights
who are not Committer Members.

> My understanding is that anyone with commit rights to any Eclipse
> project is a committer member of the foundation. So, there are hundreds
> of committer members (I have no idea exactly how many).
Re: Any Committer Members? [message #21477 is a reply to message #21284] Tue, 19 July 2005 18:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Steinberg is currently offline David Steinberg
Messages: 489
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Bjorn Freeman-Benson wrote:
> something on the order of three dozen - but I don't have the exact
> numbers in front of me. There are a few more people with commit rights
> who are not Committer Members.

Hi Bjorn,

No worries, the ballpark number is good enough for me.

Thanks,
Dave
Re: Any Committer Members? [message #22136 is a reply to message #21284] Tue, 26 July 2005 19:01 Go to previous message
Mike Milinkovich is currently offline Mike Milinkovich
Messages: 258
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
That is correct. But the interesting wrinkle is that committers who work for
Member companies have all of the rights and privileges of a Committer
Member, without having to individually sign the Membership Agreement.

So the way I count them is whether or not they have the right to vote in the
committer representative board elections. And currently there are 425++ of
those.

.....I am not sure if this helps or just makes things even more confusing :-)

"Bjorn Freeman-Benson" <bjorn.freeman-benson@eclipse.org> wrote in message
news:dbh2g7$iuq$1@news.eclipse.org...
> That's not correct. You can have commit rights without being a Committer
> Member of the Foundation. Most committers are not Committer Members
> because they are employees of a Member Company. There are a number of
> individual Committer Members outside of the Member Companies - something
> on the order of three dozen - but I don't have the exact numbers in front
> of me. There are a few more people with commit rights who are not
> Committer Members.
>
>> My understanding is that anyone with commit rights to any Eclipse project
>> is a committer member of the foundation. So, there are hundreds of
>> committer members (I have no idea exactly how many).
Previous Topic:How to import variables from one workspace to another workspace?
Next Topic:More frequent releases needed
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Sep 17 23:56:37 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.07473 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software