Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools Project (WTP) » 3.3 / Ganymed: can't create Tomcat 5.5 server configuration
3.3 / Ganymed: can't create Tomcat 5.5 server configuration [message #216066] Wed, 25 June 2008 18:20 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: onlineguyse.gmx.de

Hi,

I just downloaded Ganymed in its JEE package (32 bit) and tried to
create a new server configuration for a local Tomcat 5.5. The problem is
that I cannot get past the window labeled "New Server" because the 5.0
and the 5.5 configurations aren't selectable. The error at the top of
the window reads:"Cannot create a server using the selected type". Any
idea what causes this?

Regards,

Maik
Re: 3.3 / Ganymed: can't create Tomcat 5.5 server configuration [message #216160 is a reply to message #216066] Thu, 26 June 2008 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry Isaacs
Messages: 1305
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Maik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded Ganymed in its JEE package (32 bit) and tried to
> create a new server configuration for a local Tomcat 5.5. The problem is
> that I cannot get past the window labeled "New Server" because the 5.0
> and the 5.5 configurations aren't selectable. The error at the top of
> the window reads:"Cannot create a server using the selected type". Any
> idea what causes this?
>
> Regards,
>
> Maik

Is this happening, or does this happen, in a new workspace? Does the
Tomcat v6.0 Server selection allow you to click Next?

Cheers,
Larry
Re: 3.3 / Ganymed: can't create Tomcat 5.5 server configuration [message #216185 is a reply to message #216160] Thu, 26 June 2008 16:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: onlineguyse.gmx.de

Hi Larry,

it seemed to be a workspace-related problem, I can create all Tomcat
configurations in a new workspace. To answer your question: a 6.0 Tomcat
configuration was possible. Thank you for your effort.

Maik

Larry Isaacs schrieb:
> Maik wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just downloaded Ganymed in its JEE package (32 bit) and tried to
>> create a new server configuration for a local Tomcat 5.5. The problem
>> is that I cannot get past the window labeled "New Server" because the
>> 5.0 and the 5.5 configurations aren't selectable. The error at the top
>> of the window reads:"Cannot create a server using the selected type".
>> Any idea what causes this?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Maik
>
> Is this happening, or does this happen, in a new workspace? Does the
> Tomcat v6.0 Server selection allow you to click Next?
>
> Cheers,
> Larry
Re: 3.3 / Ganymed: can't create Tomcat 5.5 server configuration [message #216208 is a reply to message #216185] Thu, 26 June 2008 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry Isaacs
Messages: 1305
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I would guess that there are existing Tomcat runtimes defined in the
problem workspace and something amiss with them causes problems when
trying to create a new server from those runtimes. If the problem
workspace is important to you, you could try recreating those Tomcat
runtimes and see if that improves the behavior when trying to create a
new server.

Cheers,
Larry

Maik wrote:
> Hi Larry,
>
> it seemed to be a workspace-related problem, I can create all Tomcat
> configurations in a new workspace. To answer your question: a 6.0 Tomcat
> configuration was possible. Thank you for your effort.
>
> Maik
>
> Larry Isaacs schrieb:
>> Maik wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just downloaded Ganymed in its JEE package (32 bit) and tried to
>>> create a new server configuration for a local Tomcat 5.5. The problem
>>> is that I cannot get past the window labeled "New Server" because the
>>> 5.0 and the 5.5 configurations aren't selectable. The error at the
>>> top of the window reads:"Cannot create a server using the selected
>>> type". Any idea what causes this?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Maik
>>
>> Is this happening, or does this happen, in a new workspace? Does the
>> Tomcat v6.0 Server selection allow you to click Next?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Larry
Re: 3.3 / Ganymed: can't create Tomcat 5.5 server configuration [message #216860 is a reply to message #216208] Mon, 07 July 2008 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: acnobreganeto.gmail.com

to solve this problem, just add a READ and WRITE permissions to the files
in directory "tomcat/conf" (chmod -vR a+rw tomcat/conf/*). To be more
specific, on the file "catalina.policy". After that, the Tomcat server
could be added in the Eclipse servers.
Re: 3.3 / Ganymed: can't create Tomcat 5.5 server configuration [message #217235 is a reply to message #216208] Wed, 09 July 2008 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: lidia_alber.hotmail.com

Hello, I've got the same problem.... You just have to check/adjust the
entry in Window/Preferences/Server/Runtime Environments. After doing this,
it should work...


Regards
Roman
Re: 3.3 / Ganymed: can't create Tomcat 5.5 server configuration [message #217558 is a reply to message #216066] Sat, 12 July 2008 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Durie is currently offline Bob Durie
Messages: 1
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I'm getting the EXACT same issue... no resolution yet, but this is kind
of a showstopper!!
Re: 3.3 / Ganymed: can't create Tomcat 5.5 server configuration [message #217578 is a reply to message #217558] Mon, 14 July 2008 13:28 Go to previous message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry Isaacs
Messages: 1305
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Bob Durie wrote:
> I'm getting the EXACT same issue... no resolution yet, but this is kind
> of a showstopper!!
>

The same symptom doesn't necessarily imply the same cause. Details will
be necessary to determine what is happening in your case.

By far, the most frequent cause is the attempt to use a Linux installed
Tomcat. These installs tend to be configured for "production" use.
This means that appropriate portions of the server are "locked down" for
security reasons. The more "locked down", the more likely you will have
this problem. Because of this "lock down", you need to be logged in as
"root" to use this server from Eclipse as a "development" server. The
simplest and probably best solution to this use case is to download a
binary Tomcat install from Apache and use that as your "development"
server and use the Linux installed Tomcat only for "production" use.

Cheers,
Larry
Previous Topic:Error creating a java web service
Next Topic:Remote Deployment in eclipse
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Sep 17 07:52:01 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02266 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software