Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Java 1.8 null annotations cause 'Contradictory null annotations' error(Upgrading from null annotations 1.1.0 to 2.0.0 results in compilation errors)
Java 1.8 null annotations cause 'Contradictory null annotations' error [message #1287468] Mon, 07 April 2014 20:49 Go to next message
Tom van den Bege is currently offline Tom van den BegeFriend
I've installed the Kepler java 8 feature patch, and I'm using the latest null annotations jar (version 2.0.0, that came with the java 8 patch).

The following piece of code used to compile when my project was using Java 7, and the previous null annotations jar (1.1.0):

public static @NonNull <T> T assertNotNull(@Nullable T object) {
		return assertNotNull(null, object);
	}

public static @NonNull <T> T assertNotNull(@Nullable String message, @Nullable T object) {
		if (object == null) {
			throw new NullPointerException(message);
		}
		return object;
	}

After upgrading the project to Java 8, and upgrading the null annotations jar to 2.0.0, the statement
		return assertNotNull(null, object);

gives the following compiler error:

"Contradictory null annotations: method was inferred as '@NonNull @Nullable T assertNotNull(@Nullable String, @Nullable T)', but only one of '@NonNull' and '@Nullable' can be effective at any location "

If I replace the 2.0.0 jar with the 1.1.0 jar, it works again. This is not a solution however, since the old jar does not support type annotations.

Does anyone know why this doesn't compile?

Thanks,
Tom
Re: Java 1.8 null annotations cause 'Contradictory null annotations' error [message #1287536 is a reply to message #1287468] Mon, 07 April 2014 22:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Mh, looks like we're inferring null type annotations too aggressively for the instantiation for the type parameter T.
Could you please file a bug with this example?
thanks,
Stephan
Re: Java 1.8 null annotations cause 'Contradictory null annotations' error [message #1288011 is a reply to message #1287536] Tue, 08 April 2014 07:42 Go to previous message
Tom van den Bege is currently offline Tom van den BegeFriend
No problem, here it is.

Thanks,
Tom
Previous Topic: Available Software Sites is empty after upgrading to Kepler
Next Topic:Can't step while remote debugging in latest Kepler
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 21:53:15 GMT 2024