Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools Project (WTP) » Alternate way of packaging projects for deployment
Alternate way of packaging projects for deployment [message #213603] Sun, 11 May 2008 18:35 Go to next message
Abel Mui is currently offline Abel Mui
Messages: 247
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
For Maven integration (in IAM project proposal), we've integrated maven
web projects with wtp so they can be launched on any configured server.

However, WTP is doing the packaging. We would like to let Maven do it
(or achive a jar/war file that's equivalent to what maven would have
generated). This is because in maven build resources can be modified
before packaging.

Could I get some pointers about how this can be done?

Also, if there is an overview of the deployment process available, it
would come handy :-)

Thanks!
--
Abel Muiño Vizcaino - http://ramblingabout.wordpress.com
Re: Alternate way of packaging projects for deployment [message #213808 is a reply to message #213603] Wed, 14 May 2008 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Abel Mui is currently offline Abel Mui
Messages: 247
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Any pointers I could look at?
Test cases or sample code would do.

Abel Muiño Vizcaino wrote:

> For Maven integration (in IAM project proposal), we've integrated maven
> web projects with wtp so they can be launched on any configured server.

> However, WTP is doing the packaging. We would like to let Maven do it
> (or achive a jar/war file that's equivalent to what maven would have
> generated). This is because in maven build resources can be modified
> before packaging.

> Could I get some pointers about how this can be done?

> Also, if there is an overview of the deployment process available, it
> would come handy :-)

> Thanks!
> --
> Abel Muiño Vizcaino - http://ramblingabout.wordpress.com
Re: Alternate way of packaging projects for deployment [message #213816 is a reply to message #213808] Wed, 14 May 2008 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Philippe Marschall is currently offline Philippe Marschall
Messages: 120
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-war-plugin/

Since you are already using Maven your <packaging> should already be war.
mvn package
will build be package
mvn release:prepare release:perform
will do the full release cycle

Cheers
Philippe

Abel Muiño wrote:
> Any pointers I could look at?
> Test cases or sample code would do.
>
> Abel Muiño Vizcaino wrote:
>
>> For Maven integration (in IAM project proposal), we've integrated
>> maven web projects with wtp so they can be launched on any configured
>> server.
>
>> However, WTP is doing the packaging. We would like to let Maven do it
>> (or achive a jar/war file that's equivalent to what maven would have
>> generated). This is because in maven build resources can be modified
>> before packaging.
>
>> Could I get some pointers about how this can be done?
>
>> Also, if there is an overview of the deployment process available, it
>> would come handy :-)
>
>> Thanks!
>> --
>> Abel Muiño Vizcaino - http://ramblingabout.wordpress.com
>
>
Re: Alternate way of packaging projects for deployment [message #213848 is a reply to message #213603] Wed, 14 May 2008 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: kosta.bea.com

Abel,

In WTP, server adapters own the publishing logic (which includes getting
the app ready for publishing). There is a publish steps extension
point that lets you add additional logic to the publish operation, but
there is no way to completely replace the packaging. That wouldn't work
anyway, since different server adapters have different requirements for
the form that the app must be in for publishing. Some require a WAR
archive, some require an exploded WAR directory, and some have
proprietary descriptors that tell the server where to find pieces of the
WAR without actually physically assembling it.

- Konstantin
Re: Alternate way of packaging projects for deployment [message #214012 is a reply to message #213848] Mon, 19 May 2008 18:10 Go to previous message
Abel Mui is currently offline Abel Mui
Messages: 247
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Thanks Konstantin,

So the only way would be to create new server adapters which mimic
existing ones but with a "maven flavour"?

By looking at the Javadoc, it would seem that overriding
ServerBehaviourDelegate.publish() could do the trick (still, new servers
would be required).

Is there any pitfall I'm not seeing?
--
Abel Muiño Vizcaino - http://ramblingabout.wordpress.com

Konstantin Komissarchik wrote:
> Abel,
>
> In WTP, server adapters own the publishing logic (which includes
> getting the app ready for publishing). There is a publish steps
> extension point that lets you add additional logic to the publish
> operation, but there is no way to completely replace the packaging.
> That wouldn't work anyway, since different server adapters have
> different requirements for the form that the app must be in for
> publishing. Some require a WAR archive, some require an exploded WAR
> directory, and some have proprietary descriptors that tell the server
> where to find pieces of the WAR without actually physically assembling
> it.
>
> - Konstantin
Previous Topic:Renaming a project does not update org.eclipse.wst.common.component
Next Topic:Tomcat-6
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Oct 25 05:58:40 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.25666 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software