Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » System requirements for CDT 8.3.0, esp Java 6 vs 7?
icon5.gif  System requirements for CDT 8.3.0, esp Java 6 vs 7? [message #1267342] Sat, 08 March 2014 22:07
Jim DeLaHunt is currently offline Jim DeLaHuntFriend

I ran into errors in my message log when I installed CDT into Eclipse Kepler on Mac OS X. The install appeared to run correctly, but:

1. when I clicked on links in the splash window offering to tell me more about CDT, there was no response
  2. when I tried to follow the cheatsheet about getting started with CDT, there was an error message about CPerspective being missing ("org.eclipse.core.commands.ExecutionException: Perspective org.eclipse.cdt.ui.CPerspective cannot be found")
  3. there was no C/C++ Perspective available in the Perspectives menu

I wonder if part of the problem might be that CDT version 8.3.0 requires a more recent system than I'm using. For instance, does CDT require Java 7, or will it run OK on Java 6? (Another language tool, Pydev, requires Java 7 for its most recent version. Apparently the Eclipse installer ignores a conflict between the manifest's requirement for Java 7 and the target environment lacking Java 7.)

Where are the system requirements for each version of CDT documented? I couldn't find a "System Requirements" or "Release Notes" document for the recent versions.

I'm running Eclipse Kepler on Mac OS X 10.5.8 (which is a bit outdated). I run Java 6, with no path to upgrade to Java 7.

If I need to stick with an old version of CDT, that's fine. I just need to know which version that is.

--Jim DeLaHunt, multilingual websites consultant, Vancouver Canada
Running Liclipse. Coding in Python, SQL, PHP, Prolog.
Previous Topic:Code analysis and includes
Next Topic:Diagnosing failed CDT install into Eclipse Kepler
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 14:38:46 GMT 2024