Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Target Management » Can't build Java project that uses linked source folder(Can't build Java project that uses linked source folder)
icon5.gif  Can't build Java project that uses linked source folder [message #1256959] Wed, 26 February 2014 00:30 Go to next message
Andy Junius is currently offline Andy JuniusFriend
Hi All,

I just started to use RSE for a new project. It did work perfectly fine for about a week until yesterday. Suddenly I'm unable to do a clean/build. The message is:
The project was not built since the source file /path/to/code.java could not be read ProjectName Unknown Java Problem

What I did:

I've set up a connection to a remote box using the Remote Systems view (SSH Only). I created two Java projects, one holding a few library classes and another one for a Swing application. The latter depends on the first one. Both projects have a folder src, that points to the remote location using RSE. This folder has been marked as a source code folder for both the projects. This way I was able to work with the remote source code files if they were local ones - a really great feature.

Suddenly I got a red cross on the project folder for the Swing project and the message saying the no build has been made, because the source can't be read. This is funny, because the remote connection is working fine. I can see, it's open, I'm able to open, edit and save the source files, etc, etc. It's just not possible to do a build and run the program. The library project can be build as ever, no problems at all.
So I thought it might be a problem with line breaks, because I'm working on both Linux and Windows. I've set the IDE to use only Unix line breaks and fixed every file, but this wasn't the cause.
I know the code is fine, because if local it works fine. No errors, even no warnings.
I've got the problem on both machines, one running windows7 and Eclipse Kepler, the other running xubuntu 13.1 and Eclipse Kepler.

So my question: what else can I do to track down the problem? Any ideas? Thanks in anticipation!

Cheers,
Andy
Re: Can't build Java project that uses linked source folder [message #1257656 is a reply to message #1256959] Wed, 26 February 2014 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David McKnight is currently offline David McKnightFriend
When you run into this problem, is the RSE system connected and are you able to access the code directly from RSE? Can you access the code via the project (i.e. via the linked folder)?

Andy Junius wrote on Tue, 25 February 2014 19:30
Hi All,

I just started to use RSE for a new project. It did work perfectly fine for about a week until yesterday. Suddenly I'm unable to do a clean/build. The message is:
The project was not built since the source file /path/to/code.java could not be read ProjectName Unknown Java Problem

What I did:

I've set up a connection to a remote box using the Remote Systems view (SSH Only). I created two Java projects, one holding a few library classes and another one for a Swing application. The latter depends on the first one. Both projects have a folder src, that points to the remote location using RSE. This folder has been marked as a source code folder for both the projects. This way I was able to work with the remote source code files if they were local ones - a really great feature.

Suddenly I got a red cross on the project folder for the Swing project and the message saying the no build has been made, because the source can't be read. This is funny, because the remote connection is working fine. I can see, it's open, I'm able to open, edit and save the source files, etc, etc. It's just not possible to do a build and run the program. The library project can be build as ever, no problems at all.
So I thought it might be a problem with line breaks, because I'm working on both Linux and Windows. I've set the IDE to use only Unix line breaks and fixed every file, but this wasn't the cause.
I know the code is fine, because if local it works fine. No errors, even no warnings.
I've got the problem on both machines, one running windows7 and Eclipse Kepler, the other running xubuntu 13.1 and Eclipse Kepler.

So my question: what else can I do to track down the problem? Any ideas? Thanks in anticipation!

Cheers,
Andy

Re: Can't build Java project that uses linked source folder [message #1257877 is a reply to message #1257656] Wed, 26 February 2014 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, it's all working. I can connect, I can browse the files using the Remote System view and I can access the files from the linked source folder of my project. I can refresh the source folder of my project and it updates all packages inside. I just can't build it any more.
Re: Can't build Java project that uses linked source folder [message #1258565 is a reply to message #1257877] Thu, 27 February 2014 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David McKnight is currently offline David McKnightFriend
Hmm, I don't know why it wouldn't build, especially considering that it used to. If you recreate the linked folders does it start working again? I haven't seen this before - are you able to try debugging the Java build to see why this happens?
Re: Can't build Java project that uses linked source folder [message #1261737 is a reply to message #1258565] Sun, 02 March 2014 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Recreating the project or the linked folder didn't solve that problem. When I try to build the project, I'll get a message like:
"The project was not built since the source file /ProjectName/src/path/to/Source.java could not be read"

I saved the file named in the message again. This caused the message to be thrown for another source file, so I did this one by one for all source files. Unfortunately this didn't help at all, the cycle just starts again - the message saying that some source file couldn't be read.

So I tried to enable debug mode on Eclipse and that's the output:

JavaBuilder: Starting build of YakkaSwingClient @ Mon Mar 03 10:05:37 CST 2014
JavaBuilder: Performing full build as requested
FULL build
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/view/YakkaClient.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/view/UpdatableFrame.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/view/ToolBar.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/view/MainPanel.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/view/MainMenu.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/exception/ApplicationException.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/constants/Messages.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/constants/Icons.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/gui/SelectWorkspaceAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/gui/SelectOtherWorkspaceAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/gui/SelectLookAndFeelAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/gui/SelectLanguageAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/gui/HelpContentAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/gui/AboutAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/core/TagMessageAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/core/SendMailAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/core/ReplyAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/core/NewLetterAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/core/GetMailAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/core/ForwardAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/core/DeleteMessageAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/core/DeleteAccountAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/core/CreateAccountAction.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/ActionFactory.java
About to compile src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/AbstractUpdatableAction.java
>FULL BUILD STATS for: YakkaSwingClient
> compiled 0 lines in 509ms:0.0lines/s
> parse: 502 ms (98.6%), resolve: 3 ms (0.5%), analyze: 0 ms (0.0%), generate: 0 ms (0.0%)
The project was not built since the source file /YakkaSwingClient/src/info/junius/apps/yakkamail/actions/gui/SelectWorkspaceAction.java could not be read
JavaBuilder: Finished build of YakkaSwingClient @ Mon Mar 03 10:05:48 CST 2014

I didn't identify the plugin responsible for reading the file so far. Maybe someone could give me a hint what to add to the .options file to enable debug mode for it?

Cheers,
Andy

Re: Can't build Java project that uses linked source folder [message #1265347 is a reply to message #1261737] Thu, 06 March 2014 01:30 Go to previous message
I didn't get it to work and switched to sshfs. It's not as convenient but it does the job.

Cheers,

Andy
Previous Topic:navigate file subsystem with command line
Next Topic:Is the password encrypted when using the dstore
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:42:23 GMT 2024