Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools Project (WTP) » Project-> Properties-> Run/Debug ->New ...all blank
Project-> Properties-> Run/Debug ->New ...all blank [message #207288] Tue, 22 January 2008 21:53 Go to next message
John J. Barton is currently offline John J. Barton
Messages: 311
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I'm puzzled by a panel in my project properties. Its Run/Debug
Settings. It has a large white area and a New button enabled. The new
button popups up a window with a box that contains another large white
area and one active button "cancel".

In addition to thinking that this is rather silly, I'd also like to know
if I can populate these blank areas from a plugin.

Thanks,
John
Re: Project-> Properties-> Run/Debug ->New ...all blank [message #207289 is a reply to message #207288] Tue, 22 January 2008 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: valentinbaciu.hotmail.com

Hi John,

I think you may want to read through these two migration guides:

http://help.eclipse.org/help33/topic/org.eclipse.platform.do c.isv/porting/3.2/recommended.html
http://help.eclipse.org/help33/topic/org.eclipse.platform.do c.isv/porting/3.3/recommended.html

Focus on the launch configuration changes. I can't recall for sure, but I
think this change is what will get stuff show up in the dialog: "As well,
API (a new extension element) has been added to the launchShortcuts
extension to associate a launch shortcut with one or more types of launch
configurations."

I hope this helps.
Regards, Valentin

"John J Barton" <johnjbarton@johnjbarton.com> wrote in message
news:fn5oi5$u5g$1@build.eclipse.org...
> I'm puzzled by a panel in my project properties. Its Run/Debug Settings.
> It has a large white area and a New button enabled. The new button popups
> up a window with a box that contains another large white area and one
> active button "cancel".
>
> In addition to thinking that this is rather silly, I'd also like to know
> if I can populate these blank areas from a plugin.
>
> Thanks,
> John
Re: Project-> Properties-> Run/Debug ->New ...all blank [message #207290 is a reply to message #207289] Wed, 23 January 2008 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John J. Barton is currently offline John J. Barton
Messages: 311
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Thanks Valentin, that helped...a little.

Here's my decoding ring so far:

A "launch configuration" gives parameters to a program execution. These
are things you name to run and test your program.

A "launch configuration type" is a template for "launch-configurations".
They determine the runtime for the launch-configuration; they are the
top-level objects in the Run or Debug Dialogs (under the green bug or
green circle with white arrow icons).

Now I think what the 3.2/3.3 migration stuff is saying is that in olden
days launch-configuration-types and launch-configurations were global to
the workspace, but in the brave new world they will be attached to
files. (Oops, sorry, "resources").

That explains why the project and each file in the project now has a
Run/Debug settings property page.

And in ILaunchConfigurationWorkingCopy (the writable version of
ILaunchConfiguration), there is setMappedResources to associate
resources with a launch-configuration.

Back to your pointer: a "launch-shortcut" seems to be a
context-dependent route to launch-configurations, (using the right click
menu). There is an elaborate mechanism to pick out the right
launch-shortcut to be shown for each eg type of resource. So when
launch-shortcut matches a file type it can create a launch-configuration.

After that I'm lost. Here's my guess: the Run/Debug settings property
page would allow me to connect a launch-configuration to a specific
resource if I had any that supported the setMappedResources bit. Since I
don't, I can't.

John.


Valentin wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> I think you may want to read through these two migration guides:
>
> http://help.eclipse.org/help33/topic/org.eclipse.platform.do c.isv/porting/3.2/recommended.html
> http://help.eclipse.org/help33/topic/org.eclipse.platform.do c.isv/porting/3.3/recommended.html
>
> Focus on the launch configuration changes. I can't recall for sure, but I
> think this change is what will get stuff show up in the dialog: "As well,
> API (a new extension element) has been added to the launchShortcuts
> extension to associate a launch shortcut with one or more types of launch
> configurations."
>
> I hope this helps.
> Regards, Valentin
>
> "John J Barton" <johnjbarton@johnjbarton.com> wrote in message
> news:fn5oi5$u5g$1@build.eclipse.org...
>> I'm puzzled by a panel in my project properties. Its Run/Debug Settings.
>> It has a large white area and a New button enabled. The new button popups
>> up a window with a box that contains another large white area and one
>> active button "cancel".
>>
>> In addition to thinking that this is rather silly, I'd also like to know
>> if I can populate these blank areas from a plugin.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John
>
>
Re: Project-> Properties-> Run/Debug ->New ...all blank [message #207291 is a reply to message #207290] Wed, 23 January 2008 03:42 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: valentinbaciu.hotmail.com

John, my understanding is that if you have a launch shortcut and a launch
configuration you can "link" them together using a new extension point
element in the shortcut extension.

<extension point="org.eclipse.debug.ui.launchShortcuts">
<shortcut...>
<configurationType id="the id of your launch configuration" />
</shortcut>
</extension>

If this doesn't do the trick, I would think that the platform newsgroup
would be a better place to ask for help on this.
Alternatively you can always look for examples in existing code, for example
in the JDT. The PDE views should allow you to search for examples in
existing plugins.

Regards,
Valentin

"John J Barton" <johnjbarton@johnjbarton.com> wrote in message
news:fn6699$iij$1@build.eclipse.org...
> Thanks Valentin, that helped...a little.
>
> Here's my decoding ring so far:
>
> A "launch configuration" gives parameters to a program execution. These
> are things you name to run and test your program.
>
> A "launch configuration type" is a template for "launch-configurations".
> They determine the runtime for the launch-configuration; they are the
> top-level objects in the Run or Debug Dialogs (under the green bug or
> green circle with white arrow icons).
>
> Now I think what the 3.2/3.3 migration stuff is saying is that in olden
> days launch-configuration-types and launch-configurations were global to
> the workspace, but in the brave new world they will be attached to files.
> (Oops, sorry, "resources").
>
> That explains why the project and each file in the project now has a
> Run/Debug settings property page.
>
> And in ILaunchConfigurationWorkingCopy (the writable version of
> ILaunchConfiguration), there is setMappedResources to associate resources
> with a launch-configuration.
>
> Back to your pointer: a "launch-shortcut" seems to be a context-dependent
> route to launch-configurations, (using the right click menu). There is an
> elaborate mechanism to pick out the right launch-shortcut to be shown for
> each eg type of resource. So when launch-shortcut matches a file type it
> can create a launch-configuration.
>
> After that I'm lost. Here's my guess: the Run/Debug settings property
> page would allow me to connect a launch-configuration to a specific
> resource if I had any that supported the setMappedResources bit. Since I
> don't, I can't.
>
> John.
>
>
> Valentin wrote:
>> Hi John,
>>
>> I think you may want to read through these two migration guides:
>>
>> http://help.eclipse.org/help33/topic/org.eclipse.platform.do c.isv/porting/3.2/recommended.html
>> http://help.eclipse.org/help33/topic/org.eclipse.platform.do c.isv/porting/3.3/recommended.html
>>
>> Focus on the launch configuration changes. I can't recall for sure, but I
>> think this change is what will get stuff show up in the dialog: "As well,
>> API (a new extension element) has been added to the launchShortcuts
>> extension to associate a launch shortcut with one or more types of launch
>> configurations."
>>
>> I hope this helps.
>> Regards, Valentin
>>
>> "John J Barton" <johnjbarton@johnjbarton.com> wrote in message
>> news:fn5oi5$u5g$1@build.eclipse.org...
>>> I'm puzzled by a panel in my project properties. Its Run/Debug
>>> Settings. It has a large white area and a New button enabled. The new
>>> button popups up a window with a box that contains another large white
>>> area and one active button "cancel".
>>>
>>> In addition to thinking that this is rather silly, I'd also like to know
>>> if I can populate these blank areas from a plugin.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> John
>>
Previous Topic:Mapping server urls to project paths
Next Topic:Adding a server to eclipse
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Sep 18 15:48:18 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.05009 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software