Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools Project (WTP) » Eclipse WTP custom Tomcat configuration
Eclipse WTP custom Tomcat configuration [message #206640] Fri, 11 January 2008 13:49 Go to next message
Petko Guglev is currently offline Petko GuglevFriend
Messages: 3
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hello,

I am writing with respect to the article
http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Tomcat_FAQ. I am using Eclipse 3.3.1.1 (build
M20071023-1652) with the integrated J2EE bundle. According to the info on
the eclipse site the WTP version integrated in this eclipse package is
2.0. So, my problem is that I want to add a Tomcat 5.5 server, whose
catalina_home and catalina_base variables have two different paths. The UI
did not allow me to register the Tomcat runtime because it didn't
recognize the folders "conf" and "webapps". When i tried to point to the
catalina_base location, it complained respectively about the other missing
folders from catalina_home. Is this a bug and is there a roundabout to
this problem? What I did is manually create two empty folders, named as
the missing ones, to get the server registered in the servers list and
then altered the server instance location.
A second bug I stumpled upon is that the VM Arguments in the server launch
configuration get messed up sometimes when I tamper with the server
settings in eclipse.


Regards:

Petko
Re: Eclipse WTP custom Tomcat configuration [message #206678 is a reply to message #206640] Fri, 11 January 2008 16:16 Go to previous message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry IsaacsFriend
Messages: 1311
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Petko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am writing with respect to the article
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Tomcat_FAQ. I am using Eclipse 3.3.1.1
> (build M20071023-1652) with the integrated J2EE bundle. According to the
> info on the eclipse site the WTP version integrated in this eclipse
> package is 2.0. So, my problem is that I want to add a Tomcat 5.5
> server, whose catalina_home and catalina_base variables have two
> different paths. The UI did not allow me to register the Tomcat runtime
> because it didn't recognize the folders "conf" and "webapps". When i
> tried to point to the catalina_base location, it complained respectively
> about the other missing folders from catalina_home. Is this a bug and is
> there a roundabout to this problem?

Unfortunately, it's a use case that's currently not practical to
support. You are basically referring to
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=113484.

> What I did is manually create two
> empty folders, named as the missing ones, to get the server registered
> in the servers list and then altered the server instance location.

Creating the extra "conf" and "webapps" should be fine for creating the
server runtime. However, when you create the server, files from that
"conf" are imported into the appropriate subfolder of the Servers
project in your workspace. These are necessary for the Tomcat support
to work correctly. I'm not sure if this occurred successfully. It
would be best if the "conf" directory you created also included the
configuration files you want to import before you create the server.

After you create the server, open the server editor by double-clicking
on the server in the Servers view. In the Server Locations section,
select "Use custom location..." option and specify the location of your
catalina_base path, if you haven't already.

Note that the configuration files in the subfolder of the Servers
project will overwrite those in your catalina_base. Thus, they become
the "masters" for those files. Local changes in your catalina_base will
get stepped on the next time the Tomcat server is started within Eclipse.

> A
> second bug I stumpled upon is that the VM Arguments in the server launch
> configuration get messed up sometimes when I tamper with the server
> settings in eclipse.

I'll need more detail about the meaning of "messed up" and "tamper" to
make an attempt to answer this one.

Cheers,
Larry

>
> Regards:
>
> Petko
>
Previous Topic:Stop auto republish
Next Topic:Strange behaviour in Project Explorer
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Thu Dec 18 00:51:50 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.01539 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software