Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Eclipse builds Hello_world but does nothing with my main project.
Eclipse builds Hello_world but does nothing with my main project. [message #1240511] Thu, 06 February 2014 16:36 Go to next message
Charles Scoville is currently offline Charles ScovilleFriend
Hello, and thanks for having me.

Overview
Basically, I'm working with some OpenGL C++ tutorials from "opengl-tutorial.org". I got them to integrate into Eclipse CDT Kepler very easily. Simply stop on step 4 of the first part of the tutorial and instead run cmake with this command.
cmake -G "Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Debug -DCMAKE_ECLIPSE_GENERATE_SOURCE_PROJECT=TRUE ..
Then in Eclipse, import project, navigate to the "build" directory, and .project and .cproject are there and import in perfectly fine.

But I digress, the above tutorial is not why I am here...

The Problem
The problem I am having is I can only build the (unaltered) source/project once; even after a "Project>>clean" operation. After things have been built this first time, editing code, saving, then doing a build once more does nothing. Even if the code change is trivial. Again, and just to be crystal clear here, I am *NOT* saying compilation fails, I really mean it when I say it does nothing. No logs written, no "nothing to be built" messages, no errors, no console output of any kind... NOTHING. The source code builds fine off the cli with "make all", and even runs fine when built either way. The standard Hello_World template compiles and runs fine in Eclipse too. But the project in question simply will not build after the first build. Running the code after edits behaves as if the source has not changed at all, which is to be expected if it is not getting built and updated.

Things I have tried
STFW and RTFM for one. I have also uninstalled eclipse (deleted the folder), deleted the tutorials project directory and re-installed from archive, cleaned all the extra eclipse folders out of the home directory and abroad, ran eclipse with -clean, made sure eclipse.ini had the right JVM, and grasped at a bunch of other straws to try and get it to work permanently with no luck.

Workaround
The only workaround I have found so far is to open the projects properties, change something, apply that change, then change it back. Doing this cumbersome kludge fixes Eclipse for one more build, but it refuses to do squat after that, unless I rinse and repeat.

Dev box info
Linux 3.2.6
Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid" (BackTrack 5 r3 Cool )
Java 7_51 (Also tried Java 6_<something>)
Dual-core AMD AthalonX64 "Kuma"
780G northbridge (RS780I)
ATI HD3850 + HD3200
fglrx v8.97.2 (legacy HD driver)
Triple head via Xinerama
3GB of ram
(Yes, I *AM* aware it's 2014, LOL)

Edit/Update:
I just found another workaround that is moderately more efficient than the first. In the project Explorer view, Rightclick the tutorial project go to "Make Targets >> Build", select the executable you want to generate, click build. (There are quite a lot of choices, "[exe] playground" is correct if following the tut) From this point on you can give focus to the Project Explorer view and hit F9 to build. This fix has many of it's own problems so is still not ideal. But it is better than the previous workaround by far.

I would still certainly welcome the correct fix, whatever that may be.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 February 2014 20:53]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse builds Hello_world but does nothing with my main project. [message #1241206 is a reply to message #1240511] Fri, 07 February 2014 16:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Rizzo is currently offline Eric RizzoFriend
Moving this to the C/C++ forum where it might get more attention.
Re: Eclipse builds Hello_world but does nothing with my main project. [message #1241811 is a reply to message #1241206] Sat, 08 February 2014 15:17 Go to previous message
Charles Scoville is currently offline Charles ScovilleFriend
Thanks Mr. Rizzo, I had debated whether I should put it here or not.
Previous Topic:Code folding plugin
Next Topic:CDT Quick Fix bugs! Who can help me?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 16:58:36 GMT 2024