Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Novice: what extra files do I need?
Novice: what extra files do I need? [message #1238240] Fri, 31 January 2014 19:29 Go to next message
John Franklin is currently offline John FranklinFriend
I've installed the Ubuntu installation of Eclipse, including the C/C++ module. However, Hello World will not compile, not least because the include file <iostream> cannot be found (and there may well be other things missing too). What other files, libraries, etc do I need to install or enable for C++ to work and where do I get them?

The documentation refers to a GNU toolchain. When I look in the Synaptic Package Manager under GNU, there are 1,750 different packages. Which do I need and is there anything else?
Re: Novice: what extra files do I need? [message #1239538 is a reply to message #1238240] Tue, 04 February 2014 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Axel Mueller is currently offline Axel MuellerFriend
You need the g++ (compiler etc.) and the gdb (debugger) package.

Before you ask
- search this forum
- see the FAQ http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ
- google
Re: Novice: what extra files do I need? [message #1239567 is a reply to message #1239538] Tue, 04 February 2014 13:44 Go to previous message
John Franklin is currently offline John FranklinFriend
I had the compiler installed but I've since found out that I also need the Debian build-essential package. Installing that works. Just a pity this isn't referred to in the Eclipse documentation.
Previous Topic:nested struct expansion kepler 64bit ubuntu
Next Topic:Files excluded from build no longer appear with slash at bottom of list.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:43:43 GMT 2024