Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » DSDP - Real-Time Software Components (RTSC) » XsScript debugging in Eclipse
XsScript debugging in Eclipse [message #1224391] Thu, 26 December 2013 15:30 Go to next message
James Lockwood is currently offline James LockwoodFriend
Is there any interest or plans from the XDCTools team for officially adding support to debug XsScript through the Eclipse debugging framework? I stumbled upon the JSDT (JavaScript Debugging Tools) project, which has support for Rhino.

I have been using XDCTools for that past year, and the plain Mozilla Rhino debugger, while much better than print statements, is cumbersome and limited (such as the inability to have a persistent set of breakpoints, having to resize the screen and the controls every time because the formatting is not saved, having to switch to the output window to see print statements, expanded properties of variables become unexpanded when you do the next single step, etc.). I have found that the plain Rhino debugger has become a choke point for my productivity, so I started looking into making an XsScript debugger work in Eclipse 5 weeks ago. This was not an easy project to understand since I was essentially new to the Eclipse Framework, Java, plug-in development, had only a vague understanding of the Rhino JavaScript implementation, and had to figure out what was going on with the XsScript bootstrapping to set up the environment properly.

I can provide a functional starting point if someone from the team is interested in cleaning up what I have done already and implementing the additional breakpoint features, such as breaking on a hit count, and suspending when value changed.

I have implemented the conditional breakpoint feature. This wasn't implemented for JSDT's Rhino version.

There are some issues that still need to be worked out before it could be ready to be released. But as it stands right now, it is much nicer to use and I am happy to abandon the old way to debugging.

Re: XsScript debugging in Eclipse [message #1224419 is a reply to message #1224391] Thu, 26 December 2013 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Screen captures
index.php/fa/17126/0/
index.php/fa/17127/0/
Re: XsScript debugging in Eclipse [message #1225750 is a reply to message #1224419] Mon, 30 December 2013 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sasha Slijepcevic is currently offline Sasha SlijepcevicFriend
James,
thanks for working on it and posting it. We didn't have any immediate plans to work on support for JSDK, but I would like to see what you did. I am interested in adding your code to our code base, I just need to verify that it is safe to do so. Then, I can try to find some time to do some further work. So, please post the code and let's see what we can do with it.

Thanks,
Sasha
Re: XsScript debugging in Eclipse [message #1225778 is a reply to message #1225750] Mon, 30 December 2013 19:24 Go to previous message
email me at james.lockwood <at> trustautomation<DOTCOM>, and I can send you the source files and my compiled plug-ins to test out.

I am pretty sure you can just install the JSDT, then add my new plug-ins to your eclipse plug-in directory as I didn't actually modify any of the JSDT code other than litter it with print statements to try to figure out how it worked. You will also have to add the file extensions of .xs, .tcf, .cfg, etc. to Eclipse's preference->General->Content Types to allow the breakpoints to be inserted for non .js file extensions. This can probably be done automatically with some entries placed in the plugin.xml file for the org.eclipse.wst.jsdt.debug.xsscript.ui project.

Like I say, it is not 100% complete, so I'd we need to discuss what does and doesn't work.

I have been using it for the past few days, and so far so good. I'm very happy with the vast improvements in debugging productivity.

[Updated on: Mon, 30 December 2013 19:25]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:RTSC lesson 1 test launch loader error
Next Topic:Why were the arm syscalls removed XDC Tools v3.25.05.94?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 17:31:25 GMT 2024