Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Using Sirius on external files (and without the Model Explorer)
Using Sirius on external files (and without the Model Explorer) [message #1221645] Wed, 18 December 2013 06:33 Go to next message
Patrick Floissac is currently offline Patrick FloissacFriend
Hello,

I am creating a RCP application that will contain a diagram editor for domain specific elements called 'scenario' and 'module' (a scenario containing several modules connected together) and I am currently evaluating both Sirius and Graphiti for that purpose.

The rough picture of the application is the following:
- domain specific elements will be persisted in *.scenario files
- another file, next to the .scenario file, will contain the diagram (i.e. the 'representation' in Sirius terms, if my understanding is correct)
- a Tree Viewer will allow the user to browse the file system and to double click on a .scenario file (or the associated diagram) that will open the diagram editor.

It is not clear for me if Sirius can be used in that context as:
- user will not be asked to create projects in the workbench and to place scenarios in them (scenarios/diagrams can be anywhere on the disk)
- we don't expect to reuse the Model Explorer view nor the Sirius or Modelling perspective (we should rather display a simple Tree Viewer showing the contents of the file system).

Can you please tell me if Sirius could match our purpose?

Patrick
Re: Using Sirius on external files (and without the Model Explorer) [message #1221839 is a reply to message #1221645] Wed, 18 December 2013 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve Monnier is currently offline Steve MonnierFriend
Hello Patrick,

You can design your RCP application using Sirius as you described. The modeling project nature and the Model Explorer view are default mode/view for Sirius. It is possible to work with aird files and semantic resources in standard projects. You can already try by removing the Modeling project nature on a project sample (right click on the project, Configure/Remove Modeling Project Nature). Sirius is contributing, by extension points, to the Common Navigator Framework some content provider, common sorter and common filter(sirus.ui -> plugin.xml -> extension org.eclipse.ui.navigator.viewer). Therefore, Sirius can be used as well in the Model Explorer view as in the Project Explorer view. If you want to develop your own Tree Viewer, you should probably reuse the common navigator and bind the Sirius extensions to your viewer (and the org.eclipse.ui.navigator.resourceContent which provide the project/foler/file elements).

Steve

Steve Monnier - Obeo Canada
Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius
Re: Using Sirius on external files (and without the Model Explorer) [message #1221981 is a reply to message #1221839] Thu, 19 December 2013 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Floissac is currently offline Patrick FloissacFriend
Many thanks Steve for the help.

I will investigate the use of the Sirius contributions to the Common Navigator Framework extension.

Patrick

Re: Using Sirius on external files (and without the Model Explorer) [message #1366882 is a reply to message #1221981] Mon, 19 May 2014 14:21 Go to previous message
simon moreau is currently offline simon moreauFriend
Hello Patrick,

did you try/suceed in doing this RCP? I am currently trying to do the same thing you wanted to do and therefore I would be interested in your conclusion Smile

Simon
Previous Topic:Sirius as a viewer
Next Topic:Using Java script as a service
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 21:36:46 GMT 2024