Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » DSDP - Real-Time Software Components (RTSC) » .o prefix in object files extention(adding adi blackfin as new target)
.o prefix in object files extention [message #1217340] Thu, 28 November 2013 22:03 Go to next message
Serg Vdov is currently offline Serg VdovFriend
Hello,
I'm fairly new to xdc and trying to create a new target based on xdc.bld.ITarget2 for the adi blackfin compiler (ccblkfn.exe) and get stuck with situation when a resulting module makefile, based on the new target, has an ".o" prefix in the object file extension, which causes a compile error, since ccblkfn requires a .doj extension.
I also look at the xdc.bld _gen.xs file and see the .o is hardcoded when makefile is created...
Is there a way to get rid of the ".o"?
Thanks in advance,
Serg
Re: .o prefix in object files extention [message #1219259 is a reply to message #1217340] Tue, 03 December 2013 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sasha Slijepcevic is currently offline Sasha SlijepcevicFriend
Serg,
unfortunately there is no an easy way to allow custom object file extensions. We would have to fix _gen.xs and probably some other files to allow that.
There could be a roundabout way to deal with the problem, which would require the target to keep renaming files at certain points of a build. Each target can have target filters (http://rtsc.eclipse.org/cdoc-tip/xdc/bld/ITargetFilter.html) that can be used for such purposes.
I can see that the blackfin compiler has the option -o. What can you do with it, change only the base name of the output file? Would the linker accept the object file with an extension different from '.doj'?
Re: .o prefix in object files extention [message #1219380 is a reply to message #1219259] Tue, 03 December 2013 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Serg Vdov is currently offline Serg VdovFriend
ccblkfn is pretty strict about the file extensions...
I researched the ITargetFilter and could not find its sample code... Could you point to a snippet - its a bit hard to figure out without much of JS experience.
Also, may be I misunderstood _gen.xs, but it does not seem like ITargetFilter can help with removing the ".o", does it?
Thanks again,
Serg
Re: .o prefix in object files extention [message #1219813 is a reply to message #1219380] Thu, 05 December 2013 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ITargetFilters can intercept each generated compile command line, and add another command to it. So, every time the compiler generates a file <name>.doj, a new command is attached that renames that file to <name>.obf, for example. That would work as long as the archiver and the linker accept files with a custom extension. If that's not the case, you would have to keep renaming files before and after invoking these tools.
I am not sure if it's worth the effort, but at this time I don't see a better solution. There are no any plans to rewrite the whole build object model (which includes _gen.xs) to support object files without ".o<suffix>" extension.

For an example of how to create and use an ITargetFilter, look at my post on Feb 19 2013, 16:08, in this thread http://e2e.ti.com/support/embedded/bios/f/355/p/244102/863109.aspx#863109.
Re: .o prefix in object files extention [message #1219934 is a reply to message #1219813] Fri, 06 December 2013 21:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dave Russo is currently offline Dave RussoFriend
On 12/5/2013 2:45 PM, Sasha Slijepcevic wrote:
> I am not sure if it's worth the effort, but at this time I don't see a better solution.
> :
> For an example of how to create and use an ITargetFilter, look at my
> post on Feb 19 2013, 16:08, in this thread
> http://e2e.ti.com/support/embedded/bios/f/355/p/244102/863109.aspx#863109.
>
I wonder if your earlier suggestion of using the -o option isn't the
best answer. When we used the ADI 21060 compiler, for example, we used
-o to create objects with a suffix of .o60 which worked with the
archiver and linker without a problem.
Re: .o prefix in object files extention [message #1219946 is a reply to message #1219934] Sat, 07 December 2013 05:44 Go to previous message
I haven't tried using the compiler, but from this document: http://www.analog.com/static/imported-files/software_manuals/50_bf_cc_rtl_mn_rev_5.4.pdf I understood that the -o option only allows changing the base name of the output file, but not the extension.
The relevant part starts on page 1-8, under the title "Compiler Command-Line Interface".

If -o allows a custom extension, then there is no need for a more complicated solution that uses ITargetFilters.
Previous Topic:requires keyword in package.xdc
Next Topic:RTSC lesson 1 test launch loader error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:30:32 GMT 2024