Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Jubula » (how) can we test a non-deterministic application?(jubula non-deterministic)
(how) can we test a non-deterministic application? [message #1203167] Fri, 22 November 2013 14:14 Go to next message
nico nijman is currently offline nico nijmanFriend
Hello,

I would like to test an application that is not deterministic (in this case the tic-tac-toe game). I got the system set up and am able to run a test, but when I do I can't be sure what move the AI is going to make. As a result I can't test the game play.

Is there a way to define multiple conditions that could lead to a pass (in order to make a condition-tree) or is there possibly an other way to deal with non deterministic applications?

Thanks in advance, Nico

Re: (how) can we test a non-deterministic application? [message #1219724 is a reply to message #1203167] Thu, 05 December 2013 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
Hi,

Normally, for simple cases like "if the save prompt is there, click ok; if not, that's ok too", then I'd say to use retry event handlers (there's a cheat sheet that deals with them).
You may be able to work with checks and retries, but since each step is non-deterministic, I'm not sure whether this would work very well. Or whether your results would even tell you anything Wink

Best regards,
Alex
Re: (how) can we test a non-deterministic application? [message #1219752 is a reply to message #1219724] Thu, 05 December 2013 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nico nijman is currently offline nico nijmanFriend
I would agree my current test of tic-tac-toe might not be very important, but I'm trying to learn how to do it "with an application that isn't too difficult". Thanks for the heads-up on retry, I didn't notice that option yet.

I also found an alternative approach. There are programs that check the output of a program with a model. An example that I got working is JTORX, which is an academic tool from the university of Twente (The Netherlands). Unfortunately this one doesn't have hooks into the user interface like Jubula has. In fact, to use it I would need an interface that converts the swing user interface to text in the console and convert text in the console to gui events.
Now I could modify my application to do that, but it would be a lot more useful if such interfaces are possible. Is it possible to use Jubula or maybe even parts of it for this?

Kind regards, Nico
Re: (how) can we test a non-deterministic application? [message #1220161 is a reply to message #1219752] Tue, 10 December 2013 07:18 Go to previous message
Alexandra Schladebeck is currently offline Alexandra SchladebeckFriend
I'm going to give you a firm 'don't know' on that one Wink you could ask the developer list if you need some pointers.
Alternatively, if you're looking for an application that isn't too difficult, why don't you take the simple adder that's installed with Jubula (in the standalone)? There is even a cheat sheet for it.

Best regards,
Alex
Previous Topic:Short Pathname in TreeTables
Next Topic:Tester Class of fragment not being called
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 20:27:31 GMT 2024