Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Standard for Windows still requires Java 6?(Eclipse and Java)
Eclipse Standard for Windows still requires Java 6? [message #1195904] Tue, 19 November 2013 06:32 Go to next message
David Goldsmith is currently offline David GoldsmithFriend
I downloaded the current Windows 64-bit "Standard" version, unzipped and tried to run it and kept getting jvm.dll not found errors: I edited my path several times before finally reading eclipse/readme/readme_eclipse.html#RunningEclipse, which (still) states "you also need a Java SE 6 JRE, not included with the Eclipse SDK." I figured this must've just been a documentation update oversight, kept reading, and found the command-line way to specify the java path: eclipse -vm <one's java folder>\<one's jre folder>\bin\javaw so tried that, using the path to my jre7\bin\javaw; it ran--without displaying its window, i.e., I had to run TaskManager to find it, and use that to maximize it--but all it gave me was an error screen complaining that some component couldn't find Java 1.6! I searched this site and all I could find about Eclipse and Java 7 were the fact that it now "supports" Java 7, but from the contexts, I'm inferring this means "supports development of Java 7 applications." Could it really be that despite Eclipse's "support" for Java 7 (the announcement of which was dated 2011), one still needs Java 6 to actually run Eclipse?
Re: Eclipse Standard for Windows still requires Java 6? [message #1196719 is a reply to message #1195904] Tue, 19 November 2013 15:01 Go to previous message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
Eclipse can be run using either Java 6 or Java 7. You have to make sure that you are using a 64 bit vm to run the 64 bit version of Eclipse or a 32 bit vm to run the 32 bit version.

Check out the sticky posts at the top of the Newcomers forum for tips on how to point to the VM.
Previous Topic:Is my thread gone or just in review
Next Topic:How can i access my eclipse project in different machines ?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:11:38 GMT 2024