Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools Project (WTP) » Recognizing Tomcat 5.0 with separate home and base
Recognizing Tomcat 5.0 with separate home and base [message #188985] Fri, 02 March 2007 19:16 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: nospam.macksoft.com

Hello all,

I am trying to make Eclipse dovetail neatly with our company's pre-existing
development mechanisms. In particular, our official builds for Java
components are done with Ant scripts using tools that are kept in a
read-only location under source control. Because we have projects that need
to deploy during build (read into this that somebody preferred to author a
Java server rather than a WSDL file :-)), we use Tomcat with separate
catalina.home (global read-only) and catalina.base (per-workstation).

This arrangement actually works out pretty well for development as well as
build. With this in place, we can install whatever Java compiler we want to
run our development tools but direct them to build our source only with the
versions that the product officially supports, we can run app servers on all
our workstations without installing them and know we're running the
product-supported versions, etc.

However, I can't figure out how to get my Eclipse 3.2.1 (WTP 1.5)
environment to play with this. When I feed it either the catalina.home or
catalina.base paths as my Tomcat path, it doesn't recognize it as a valid
Tomcat installation. Is there a magic trick I can play under the covers to
make this go? I'd love to be able to debug this code in the web service
rather than living in log4j. If not, does WTP 2.0 M5 do anything for me and
can I run it with the Eclipse I'm currently running?

Ralph
Re: Recognizing Tomcat 5.0 with separate home and base [message #189024 is a reply to message #188985] Fri, 02 March 2007 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry Isaacs
Messages: 1309
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
In WTP 1.5.x and earlier, you only have direct control over
catalina.home via the Runtime location. catalina.base can be the same
as catalina.home or separate, but the separate location for
catalina.base is managed by WTP. New in WTP M5 is a user settable
catalina.base. See the Configure Tomcat Paths feature in the M5 New and
Noteworthy [1]. The UI currently used isn't consistent with other form
based editors, so the UI may change in WTP M6. The ability to specify
catalina.base won't change.

Cheers,
Larry

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/webtools/development/news/2.0M5/serve r.php


Ralph Mack wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to make Eclipse dovetail neatly with our company's pre-existing
> development mechanisms. In particular, our official builds for Java
> components are done with Ant scripts using tools that are kept in a
> read-only location under source control. Because we have projects that need
> to deploy during build (read into this that somebody preferred to author a
> Java server rather than a WSDL file :-)), we use Tomcat with separate
> catalina.home (global read-only) and catalina.base (per-workstation).
>
> This arrangement actually works out pretty well for development as well as
> build. With this in place, we can install whatever Java compiler we want to
> run our development tools but direct them to build our source only with the
> versions that the product officially supports, we can run app servers on all
> our workstations without installing them and know we're running the
> product-supported versions, etc.
>
> However, I can't figure out how to get my Eclipse 3.2.1 (WTP 1.5)
> environment to play with this. When I feed it either the catalina.home or
> catalina.base paths as my Tomcat path, it doesn't recognize it as a valid
> Tomcat installation. Is there a magic trick I can play under the covers to
> make this go? I'd love to be able to debug this code in the web service
> rather than living in log4j. If not, does WTP 2.0 M5 do anything for me and
> can I run it with the Eclipse I'm currently running?
>
> Ralph
>
>
Re: Recognizing Tomcat 5.0 with separate home and base [message #189044 is a reply to message #189024] Sat, 03 March 2007 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: nospam.macksoft.com

"Larry Isaacs" <Larry.Isaacs@sas.com> wrote in message
news:esa02s$peo$1@utils.eclipse.org...
> New in WTP M5 is a user settable catalina.base. See the Configure Tomcat
> Paths feature in the M5 New and Noteworthy [1].

Many thanks, Larry!

Can WTP M5 be used with an existing Eclipse 3.2.1 installation or will
loading M5 require loading an update to the base platform? Can I easily back
down from M5 to the 1.5 WTP without reinstalling Eclipse from scratch if I
run into serious problems? (I'm just trying to figure out how much risk I
would face in taking advantage of this before the big Europa splash in June.
So far my experience with Eclipse has been positive enough that I've never
had to backtrack, but then I don't walk too close to the bleeding edge most
of the time.)

Thanks again,
Ralph
Re: Recognizing Tomcat 5.0 with separate home and base [message #189128 is a reply to message #189044] Mon, 05 March 2007 15:24 Go to previous message
Larry Isaacs is currently offline Larry Isaacs
Messages: 1309
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
To use WTP 2.0 M5, you will need to use WTP 3.3M5eh and it's other
dependencies. Since it would mean a separate installation, you could
experiment with it using a separate workspace to see if you encounter
problems with your normal pattern of usage.

Cheers,
Larry


Ralph Mack wrote:
> "Larry Isaacs" <Larry.Isaacs@sas.com> wrote in message
> news:esa02s$peo$1@utils.eclipse.org...
>> New in WTP M5 is a user settable catalina.base. See the Configure Tomcat
>> Paths feature in the M5 New and Noteworthy [1].
>
> Many thanks, Larry!
>
> Can WTP M5 be used with an existing Eclipse 3.2.1 installation or will
> loading M5 require loading an update to the base platform? Can I easily back
> down from M5 to the 1.5 WTP without reinstalling Eclipse from scratch if I
> run into serious problems? (I'm just trying to figure out how much risk I
> would face in taking advantage of this before the big Europa splash in June.
> So far my experience with Eclipse has been positive enough that I've never
> had to backtrack, but then I don't walk too close to the bleeding edge most
> of the time.)
>
> Thanks again,
> Ralph
>
>
Previous Topic:Support for glassfish
Next Topic:EJB 3, Java EE 5
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Oct 22 22:01:26 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02194 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software