Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Cannot connect to VM for debugging, AVast Security the culprit(Eclipse Kepler)
Cannot connect to VM for debugging, AVast Security the culprit [message #1184516] Wed, 13 November 2013 09:04 Go to next message
Gary Worsham is currently offline Gary Worsham
This didn't used to be the case and I am not sure what it was exactly that changed between when it worked and now that it doesn't. I'm stopped dead in my tracks on development for almost a week now.

I've read many posts, most of them several years old, describing the exact error message:

FATAL ERROR in native method: JDWP No transports initialized, jvmtiError=AGENT_ERROR_TRANSPORT_INIT(197)
ERROR: transport error 202: connect failed: Connection timed out
ERROR: JDWP Transport dt_socket failed to initialize, TRANSPORT_INIT(510)
JDWP exit error AGENT_ERROR_TRANSPORT_INIT(197): No transports initialized [../../../src/share/back/debugInit.c:750]

Some suspicion it is related to firewall. I disabled my Avast firewall (by turning it off in the UI and ultimately, stopping the service), didn't make a difference. I did then get a pop up from Windows firewall asking for permission to allow traffic, which I did. Didn't help.

I re enabled Avast and opened TCP in/out on 127.0.0.1 and "localhost".

I'm still not convinced it ISN'T something to do with the firewall but it seems I need a more elaborate debugging strategy. Any pointers? I'm trying just about everything I can find on Google, such as restart the machine, reinstall Eclipse, use JDK instead of JRE, etc.

I don't know how to test my firewall setting independent of Eclipse. Any advice and or wild guesses welcome.

I'm using Windows 7 32 bit. JRE/JDK 1.7.

Thanks!

GW

[Updated on: Wed, 13 November 2013 09:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Cannot connect to VM for debugging [message #1184563 is a reply to message #1184516] Wed, 13 November 2013 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gary Worsham is currently offline Gary Worsham
I uninstalled AVast completely and now debugging works! I'll follow it up with AVast. Meanwhile, can anyone recommend a good AV solution for WIndows that doesn't interfere with Eclipse debugging?
Re: Cannot connect to VM for debugging, AVast Security the culprit [message #1219030 is a reply to message #1184516] Fri, 29 November 2013 15:19 Go to previous message
Amir Alfoly is currently offline Amir Alfoly
I confirm the same issue:

Eclipse Juno R2
Avast Internet Security 2014

Same error appears.

When I restart, I can debug for nearly 5 mins then it starts generating the same error again.

I tried disabling the firewall but with no success. I don't want to uninstall the Firewall because I need it and this is so annoying.

Can any one tell us how technically the Debugging is started in order to see how to bypass this issue?
Previous Topic:Using tomcat in eclipse with apache/mod_jk
Next Topic:update an existing jar file to add new entries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 20 09:29:40 EDT 2014