Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools Project (WTP) » Obtaining source for org.eclipse.wst. * during debugging
Obtaining source for org.eclipse.wst. * during debugging [message #185511] Wed, 03 January 2007 00:00 Go to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: fakeaddress.brainkandy.org

Hello,

I've done some reading, but cannot find much in the way of helpful
information.

---
The problem:

When trying to view the source of any class in org.eclipse.wst.* (though
specifically the four packages listed at [1], I am met with the message
"The JAR of this classfile belongs to the container 'Plug-in
Dependencies'. To configure the source attachment, go directly to the
corresponding configuration page (For example for JREs go to 'Installed
JREs' page in preferences.)
---

Now, I have a copy of the WST source code in $HOME/workspaces/wst/wst
and attempted to register those source locations at this location;

Preferences Menu/Plug-in Development/Target Platform/Source Code
Locations Tab
Additional source locations:
$HOME/workspaces/wst/wst/components/xml/plugins/org.eclipse. wst.xml.ui/src,
and so on.

Unfortunately, Eclipse still can't locate the source for (for instance)
org.elilpse.wst.xml.ui.internal.contentassist.NoRegionConten tAssistProcessor.
---

Now, I've been reading online documentation, printed documentation and
web documentation, and I'm just still stuck, and could use a little
help. Thanks!

Robert Konigsberg


[1]: org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui, org.eclipse.wst.xml.ui,
org.eclipse.wst.sse.core, org.eclipse.wsst.xml.core
Re: Obtaining source for org.eclipse.wst. * during debugging [message #185520 is a reply to message #185511] Wed, 03 January 2007 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: kosta.bea.com

Robert,

The easiest way to make the source come up is to download a distribution
of WST that includes src packaged in a way that PDE can find it (as
plugins). On the WTP download site you will find two zips under the WST
area. The one that starts with "wtp-wst-sdk" contains src and various
documentation targeted at people extending WST.

Here is a link to the download site:

http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/

- Konstantin
Re: Obtaining source for org.eclipse.wst. * during debugging [message #185526 is a reply to message #185520] Wed, 03 January 2007 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: fakeaddress.brainkandy.org

Konstantin Komissarchik wrote:
> Robert,
>
> The easiest way to make the source come up is to download a distribution
> of WST that includes src packaged in a way that PDE can find it (as
> plugins). On the WTP download site you will find two zips under the WST
> area. The one that starts with "wtp-wst-sdk" contains src and various
> documentation targeted at people extending WST.
>
> Here is a link to the download site:
>
> http://download.eclipse.org/webtools/downloads/
>
> - Konstantin

This is great advice, thought it unfortunately has some small problems:
I depend upon a prebuilt installation that has several other very useful
plugins. If I am left with no other choices, I'll give this one a go, so
if someone has another suggestion, I'd appreciate it.

Most of all, thanks for the quick reply, Konstantin.
Re: Obtaining source for org.eclipse.wst. * during debugging [message #185542 is a reply to message #185526] Wed, 03 January 2007 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: kosta.bea.com

If you know which exact version of WTP your prebuilt installation uses,
you can download the corresponding version of WST with SDK plugins and
just expand it over your installation.

Hope this helps.

- Konstantin
Re: Obtaining source for org.eclipse.wst. * during debugging [message #185708 is a reply to message #185511] Sat, 06 January 2007 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Williams is currently offline David WilliamsFriend
Messages: 700
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 19:00:31 -0500, Robert Konigsberg <fakeaddress@brainkandy.org> wrote:


>
> Now, I have a copy of the WST source code in $HOME/workspaces/wst/wst
> and attempted to register those source locations at this location;
>
> Preferences Menu/Plug-in Development/Target Platform/Source Code
> Locations Tab
> Additional source locations:
> $HOME/workspaces/wst/wst/components/xml/plugins/org.eclipse. wst.xml.ui/src,
> and so on.
>

I haven't used this feature is a year or more, but my (faint) memory of it
is that the PDE source code location tab is to be used (by PDE) when you say,
for example, to "import project as source" (from your target).

Do you have a target defined? If not, you might be able to preserve your existing
install by creating a target, consisting of the SDK versions, as Konstantive suggested.
I believe your target has to be a "complete" Eclipse install, meaning you'd need at
least the platform, plus WTP, etc.

Then, when you run "debug", it basically uses the plugins from your target (plus ones
in your dev. env. that are not be in your target). Then, once you've seen what you
needed, if desired, you can always just stop using the target ... depending on
what your needs. And, if you just wanted to browse the source code, I think the
easiest way, once you have your target defined, is to "import plugin as source".
If you just wanted to add it to Java Search, there's an option for that too :)

Unfortunately, I'm not familar with just having "loose source" from CVS associated with
jars in Eclipse ... that may not be possible as Eclipse depends
pretty strongly on it's own project model.
Re: Obtaining source for org.eclipse.wst. * during debugging [message #185950 is a reply to message #185708] Thu, 11 January 2007 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: fakeaddress.brainkandy.org

David Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 19:00:31 -0500, Robert Konigsberg <fakeaddress@brainkandy.org> wrote:
>
>
>> Now, I have a copy of the WST source code in $HOME/workspaces/wst/wst
>> and attempted to register those source locations at this location;
>>
>> Preferences Menu/Plug-in Development/Target Platform/Source Code
>> Locations Tab
>> Additional source locations:
>> $HOME/workspaces/wst/wst/components/xml/plugins/org.eclipse. wst.xml.ui/src,
>> and so on.
>>
>
> I haven't used this feature is a year or more, but my (faint) memory of it
> is that the PDE source code location tab is to be used (by PDE) when you say,
> for example, to "import project as source" (from your target).
>
> Do you have a target defined? If not, you might be able to preserve your existing
> install by creating a target, consisting of the SDK versions, as Konstantive suggested.
> I believe your target has to be a "complete" Eclipse install, meaning you'd need at
> least the platform, plus WTP, etc.
>
> Then, when you run "debug", it basically uses the plugins from your target (plus ones
> in your dev. env. that are not be in your target). Then, once you've seen what you
> needed, if desired, you can always just stop using the target ... depending on
> what your needs. And, if you just wanted to browse the source code, I think the
> easiest way, once you have your target defined, is to "import plugin as source".
> If you just wanted to add it to Java Search, there's an option for that too :)
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not familar with just having "loose source" from CVS associated with
> jars in Eclipse ... that may not be possible as Eclipse depends
> pretty strongly on it's own project model.
>
Hey everyone, thanks for your help. You know what? I went with
Konstantin's first recommendation and downloaded a complete install.
That really helped, wow did that help.

Thanks!
Re: Obtaining source for org.eclipse.wst. * during debugging [message #186919 is a reply to message #185950] Thu, 25 January 2007 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: fakeaddress.brainkandy.org

Hello again,

Something strange happened with my environment, and I can't tell what I did:

For weeks, I have been successfully able to browse the source of any
plugin that is a dependency of my own plugin.

Somehow, all that has changed: now whenever I attempt to open, for
example, org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui.StructuredTextViewerConfiguration, I get
"Source not found" where I used to get the source.

To continue with the example, the plugin "org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui" is
included in my project as a required plugin. There are no additional
properties related to the pugin (it's not optional, nor is reexport
enabled.)

Please advise. Is it possible I did something wicked with my
environment? Thanks!

Robert Konigsberg wrote:
> David Williams wrote:
>> On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 19:00:31 -0500, Robert Konigsberg
>> <fakeaddress@brainkandy.org> wrote:
>>
>>
>>> Now, I have a copy of the WST source code in $HOME/workspaces/wst/wst
>>> and attempted to register those source locations at this location;
>>>
>>> Preferences Menu/Plug-in Development/Target Platform/Source Code
>>> Locations Tab
>>> Additional source locations:
>>> $HOME/workspaces/wst/wst/components/xml/plugins/org.eclipse. wst.xml.ui/src,
>>>
>>> and so on.
>>>
>>
>> I haven't used this feature is a year or more, but my (faint) memory
>> of it
>> is that the PDE source code location tab is to be used (by PDE) when
>> you say,
>> for example, to "import project as source" (from your target).
>>
>> Do you have a target defined? If not, you might be able to preserve
>> your existing
>> install by creating a target, consisting of the SDK versions, as
>> Konstantive suggested.
>> I believe your target has to be a "complete" Eclipse install, meaning
>> you'd need at
>> least the platform, plus WTP, etc.
>>
>> Then, when you run "debug", it basically uses the plugins from your
>> target (plus ones
>> in your dev. env. that are not be in your target). Then, once you've
>> seen what you
>> needed, if desired, you can always just stop using the target ...
>> depending on
>> what your needs. And, if you just wanted to browse the source code, I
>> think the
>> easiest way, once you have your target defined, is to "import plugin
>> as source".
>> If you just wanted to add it to Java Search, there's an option for
>> that too :)
>>
>> Unfortunately, I'm not familar with just having "loose source" from
>> CVS associated with
>> jars in Eclipse ... that may not be possible as Eclipse depends
>> pretty strongly on it's own project model.
>>
> Hey everyone, thanks for your help. You know what? I went with
> Konstantin's first recommendation and downloaded a complete install.
> That really helped, wow did that help.
>
> Thanks!
Re: Obtaining source for org.eclipse.wst. * during debugging [message #186935 is a reply to message #186919] Thu, 25 January 2007 03:21 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: fakeaddress.brainkandy.org

Again, Hello Again.

I figured it out. Pretty interesting actually.

Preferences menu, select Plug-in Development, and from there the Target
Platform tab.

Now, I have two installations of Eclipse on my machine, and both are
listed as "locations", *and* the, er, wrong one, was selected. Selecting
the 'right one' and clicking 'Reset' did the trick.

Whew.

Robert Konigsberg wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Something strange happened with my environment, and I can't tell what I
> did:
>
> For weeks, I have been successfully able to browse the source of any
> plugin that is a dependency of my own plugin.
>
> Somehow, all that has changed: now whenever I attempt to open, for
> example, org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui.StructuredTextViewerConfiguration, I get
> "Source not found" where I used to get the source.
>
> To continue with the example, the plugin "org.eclipse.wst.sse.ui" is
> included in my project as a required plugin. There are no additional
> properties related to the pugin (it's not optional, nor is reexport
> enabled.)
>
> Please advise. Is it possible I did something wicked with my
> environment? Thanks!
>
> Robert Konigsberg wrote:
>> David Williams wrote:
>>> On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 19:00:31 -0500, Robert Konigsberg
>>> <fakeaddress@brainkandy.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>> Now, I have a copy of the WST source code in $HOME/workspaces/wst/wst
>>>> and attempted to register those source locations at this location;
>>>>
>>>> Preferences Menu/Plug-in Development/Target Platform/Source Code
>>>> Locations Tab
>>>> Additional source locations:
>>>> $HOME/workspaces/wst/wst/components/xml/plugins/org.eclipse. wst.xml.ui/src,
>>>>
>>>> and so on.
>>>>
>>>
>>> I haven't used this feature is a year or more, but my (faint) memory
>>> of it
>>> is that the PDE source code location tab is to be used (by PDE) when
>>> you say,
>>> for example, to "import project as source" (from your target).
>>>
>>> Do you have a target defined? If not, you might be able to preserve
>>> your existing
>>> install by creating a target, consisting of the SDK versions, as
>>> Konstantive suggested.
>>> I believe your target has to be a "complete" Eclipse install, meaning
>>> you'd need at
>>> least the platform, plus WTP, etc.
>>>
>>> Then, when you run "debug", it basically uses the plugins from your
>>> target (plus ones
>>> in your dev. env. that are not be in your target). Then, once you've
>>> seen what you
>>> needed, if desired, you can always just stop using the target ...
>>> depending on
>>> what your needs. And, if you just wanted to browse the source code, I
>>> think the
>>> easiest way, once you have your target defined, is to "import plugin
>>> as source".
>>> If you just wanted to add it to Java Search, there's an option for
>>> that too :)
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I'm not familar with just having "loose source" from
>>> CVS associated with
>>> jars in Eclipse ... that may not be possible as Eclipse depends
>>> pretty strongly on it's own project model.
>>>
>> Hey everyone, thanks for your help. You know what? I went with
>> Konstantin's first recommendation and downloaded a complete install.
>> That really helped, wow did that help.
>>
>> Thanks!
Previous Topic:eclipsecon 2007 submission deadlines: short talks / demos by Jan 15th
Next Topic:Websphere 5.1
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Nov 26 12:45:53 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02074 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software