Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools Project (WTP) » Hot Code Replacement
Hot Code Replacement [message #177972] Sun, 27 August 2006 08:25 Go to next message
Oli Glimmer is currently offline Oli Glimmer
Messages: 12
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

Currently I'm using MyEclipse but I want to switch to WTP (since it is
free and development progress seems stronger to me).

But I'm facing one huge downside of WTP compared to MyEclipse:

It seems that MyEclipse is using hot code replacement, since WTP drops
the webapplication classloader at all.

Here is the situation:
I start Tomcat (inside MyEclipse-IDE) and use the web-application. Then
I go back to the IDE and change the body of a method. Now MyEclipse does
a hot code replacement, what means that I can just refresh the webpage.
The running JVM has NOT forgot all its states, statics and sessions.

But with pure Eclipse and WTP after the change of the method a
"Reloading this Context has started" happens, what means that all
states, statics, sessios were dropped, what furthermore means that I've
to login again and go through the whole application again.

Is it possible to use hot code replacement also in WTP?

Regards,
Oli
Re: Hot Code Replacement [message #178200 is a reply to message #177972] Tue, 29 August 2006 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oli Glimmer is currently offline Oli Glimmer
Messages: 12
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi again,

finally it came up that my problem was only the "Auto Reload" = enabled
switch on the tomcat configuration screen in WTP.

Since hot code replacement is always active, the only problem was that
after a code change the "auto reload" feature caused the tomcat to
reload the context and therefore to drop any variables.

However, I find that the common switch setting for auto reload should be
disabled.

Oli Glimmer schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Currently I'm using MyEclipse but I want to switch to WTP (since it is
> free and development progress seems stronger to me).
>
> But I'm facing one huge downside of WTP compared to MyEclipse:
>
> It seems that MyEclipse is using hot code replacement, since WTP drops
> the webapplication classloader at all.
>
> Here is the situation:
> I start Tomcat (inside MyEclipse-IDE) and use the web-application. Then
> I go back to the IDE and change the body of a method. Now MyEclipse does
> a hot code replacement, what means that I can just refresh the webpage.
> The running JVM has NOT forgot all its states, statics and sessions.
>
> But with pure Eclipse and WTP after the change of the method a
> "Reloading this Context has started" happens, what means that all
> states, statics, sessios were dropped, what furthermore means that I've
> to login again and go through the whole application again.
>
> Is it possible to use hot code replacement also in WTP?
>
> Regards,
> Oli
Re: Hot Code Replacement [message #178269 is a reply to message #178200] Wed, 30 August 2006 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: rairamos.deltafunding.com

i second that. it would be nice if there was an option in "Preferences"
to disable auto-reload by default.

Oli Glimmer wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> finally it came up that my problem was only the "Auto Reload" = enabled
> switch on the tomcat configuration screen in WTP.
>
> Since hot code replacement is always active, the only problem was that
> after a code change the "auto reload" feature caused the tomcat to
> reload the context and therefore to drop any variables.
>
> However, I find that the common switch setting for auto reload should be
> disabled.
>
> Oli Glimmer schrieb:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently I'm using MyEclipse but I want to switch to WTP (since it is
>> free and development progress seems stronger to me).
>>
>> But I'm facing one huge downside of WTP compared to MyEclipse:
>>
>> It seems that MyEclipse is using hot code replacement, since WTP drops
>> the webapplication classloader at all.
>>
>> Here is the situation:
>> I start Tomcat (inside MyEclipse-IDE) and use the web-application.
>> Then I go back to the IDE and change the body of a method. Now
>> MyEclipse does a hot code replacement, what means that I can just
>> refresh the webpage. The running JVM has NOT forgot all its states,
>> statics and sessions.
>>
>> But with pure Eclipse and WTP after the change of the method a
>> "Reloading this Context has started" happens, what means that all
>> states, statics, sessios were dropped, what furthermore means that
>> I've to login again and go through the whole application again.
>>
>> Is it possible to use hot code replacement also in WTP?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oli
Re: Hot Code Replacement [message #178443 is a reply to message #178269] Fri, 01 September 2006 10:23 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: w.f.voogd.planet.nl

Going out on a limb here, since i dont use WTP's native tomcat plugin,
dut sysdeo's, where hot-code replace is working good. In my other
projects it seems hot-code replacements only works while in debug mode,
which happens to be sysdeo's default, so maybe when you start tomcat
using 'Debug on server' hot-code replacement will work? Or maybe you
tried it already and i'm way off, in which case, sorry for the spam :)

reg.
Willem

Rainier Ramos schreef:
> i second that. it would be nice if there was an option in "Preferences"
> to disable auto-reload by default.
>
> Oli Glimmer wrote:
>> Hi again,
>>
>> finally it came up that my problem was only the "Auto Reload" =
>> enabled switch on the tomcat configuration screen in WTP.
>>
>> Since hot code replacement is always active, the only problem was that
>> after a code change the "auto reload" feature caused the tomcat to
>> reload the context and therefore to drop any variables.
>>
>> However, I find that the common switch setting for auto reload should
>> be disabled.
>>
>> Oli Glimmer schrieb:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Currently I'm using MyEclipse but I want to switch to WTP (since it
>>> is free and development progress seems stronger to me).
>>>
>>> But I'm facing one huge downside of WTP compared to MyEclipse:
>>>
>>> It seems that MyEclipse is using hot code replacement, since WTP
>>> drops the webapplication classloader at all.
>>>
>>> Here is the situation:
>>> I start Tomcat (inside MyEclipse-IDE) and use the web-application.
>>> Then I go back to the IDE and change the body of a method. Now
>>> MyEclipse does a hot code replacement, what means that I can just
>>> refresh the webpage. The running JVM has NOT forgot all its states,
>>> statics and sessions.
>>>
>>> But with pure Eclipse and WTP after the change of the method a
>>> "Reloading this Context has started" happens, what means that all
>>> states, statics, sessios were dropped, what furthermore means that
>>> I've to login again and go through the whole application again.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to use hot code replacement also in WTP?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Oli
Previous Topic:Restart vs Republish on Tomcat with WTP 1.5
Next Topic:XML Project red x
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Sep 02 00:31:04 EDT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.11771 seconds