I am wondering if someone in this forum can help me with the following
In a workspace I got several dtd's in the SAME folder. One dtd declares
common elements that are used/referenced by other dtd's. However it looks
as if the common declared elements cannot be resolved.
> ... However it looks as if the common declared elements cannot be resolved.
Try using the DTD validator to see if the error messages give you hints.
If not there's nothing I can suggest other than eyeballing the DTDs.
Considering that most large DTDs degrade quickly into 'macro soup' that
may be a bit of a challenge.
thanks for Your Help. Your suggested solution works up to a certain point.
These two dtd validate. A third dtd that is referencing ( I learned it is
called parametereized entity) the CategoryDetails.dtd fails to validate
because elements are declared more than once. This remeinds me of C/C++
and conditional includes that seems to be the issue here. The
CommonElements.dtd is included via several intermediary parameterized
DTDs do have their limitations. (Actually, similar problems are
encountered using XML schema as wel.) Unfortuantely I don't have a good
suggestion for working around this aside from refactoring your DTDs.
Building a simple and clean import tree is definitely a benefit when
working with DTDs.