Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Web Tools Project (WTP) » Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools performance on Win2K
Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools performance on Win2K [message #173541] Sat, 08 July 2006 04:49 Go to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Messages: 19
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I have had some real performance problems with Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools
performance on Win2K. I downloaded the Eclipse 3.2GA runtime and used
update to add required components for WebTools from the Callisto update
site.

I am using the WSDL Editor, WebService Wizard and Web Service Explorer.
Various times a day and not necessarily tied to any particular operation
(could be creating web service, or just selecting from a menu) Eclipse
starts sucking up the entire CPU and requires a process termination.

At first I suspected problems with workspaces used with the RCn releases,
but even starting with a new, empty workspace the CPU lockup still occurs.
I noted that Web Service Explorer was using the internal web browser which
appeared to possibly use IE to render its XML views, tried launching
externally to Firefox, but still experience CPU lockups.

I haven't experienced the same problem running on Mac OS X, although I did
need to bump up the memory allocated for eclipse (in the eclipse.ini file)
to 512M because the WebTools would run out of memory with 256M.

I am running with Java 5 on both platforms.

The WSDL and XSD file I am using are just simple, small test examples.
They do function correctly when the CPU isn't locked up on Win2K, however
the frequency of this performance problem is becoming too high to continue
unless I can work around it.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of high CPU consumption/lockup on
Windows with Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools?
Re: Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools performance on Win2K [message #173557 is a reply to message #173541] Sat, 08 July 2006 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Messages: 19
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
After posting this note, I did find that someone else has logged a bug,
only their bug is for Linux instead of Win2K:

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=149254
Re: Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools performance on Win2K [message #173650 is a reply to message #173541] Sat, 08 July 2006 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Messages: 19
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Apparently I spoke too soon -- I have now had a number of CPU lockups with
Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools on Mac OS X. Since the eclipse bug mentioned
earlier identified this problem on Linux, I would think by now that I am
hardly alone in encountering this high load CPU performance problem with
Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?
Re: Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools performance on Win2K [message #173691 is a reply to message #173557] Mon, 10 July 2006 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Williams is currently offline David WilliamsFriend
Messages: 700
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 01:08:18 -0400, Pat Podenski <podenski@speakeasy.org=
> =

wrote:

> After posting this note, I did find that someone else has logged a bug=
, =

> only their bug is for Linux instead of Win2K:
>
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=3D149254
>
>

Thanks for pointing out the bug, Pat. I've made some comments there,
but we'll likely need some good reproducable test cases to track this do=
wn.
Re: Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools performance on Win2K [message #173728 is a reply to message #173541] Mon, 10 July 2006 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tomasz Pik is currently offline Tomasz PikFriend
Messages: 18
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Pat Podenski wrote:
> I have had some real performance problems with Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools
> performance on Win2K. I downloaded the Eclipse 3.2GA runtime and used
> update to add required components for WebTools from the Callisto update
> site.
>
> I am using the WSDL Editor, WebService Wizard and Web Service Explorer.
> Various times a day and not necessarily tied to any particular operation
> (could be creating web service, or just selecting from a menu) Eclipse
> starts sucking up the entire CPU and requires a process termination.

I've the same problems with Eclipse3.2+WebTools.
Sometimes it just 'dies', without a pattern so I've no idea, how to
make a test case to reproduce problem, problem appears while opening
preferences editor, opening/closing project, opening java file, editing
java file and other cases.
It's on WinXP, with java version "1.5.0_06", single processor.

Regards,
Tomek
Re: Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools performance on Win2K [message #173792 is a reply to message #173541] Mon, 10 July 2006 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: wknauf_NO_._INSIDE_hg-online.de

I have seen this problem, too. My workspace contains a dynamic web app with some
classes and some JSPs, a dynamic web project with a small webservice, and a java
project with a webservice client. It happens sometimes that eclipse freezes or
behaves really strange.

But unfortunately this does not look reproducable, and unfortunately I'm lacking
the time to do more research :-(.

Waiting for 1.5.1, then...

Wolfgang


Pat Podenski wrote:
> I have had some real performance problems with Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools
> performance on Win2K. I downloaded the Eclipse 3.2GA runtime and used
> update to add required components for WebTools from the Callisto update
> site.
>
> I am using the WSDL Editor, WebService Wizard and Web Service Explorer.
> Various times a day and not necessarily tied to any particular operation
> (could be creating web service, or just selecting from a menu) Eclipse
> starts sucking up the entire CPU and requires a process termination.
>
> At first I suspected problems with workspaces used with the RCn
> releases, but even starting with a new, empty workspace the CPU lockup
> still occurs. I noted that Web Service Explorer was using the internal
> web browser which appeared to possibly use IE to render its XML views,
> tried launching externally to Firefox, but still experience CPU lockups.
>
> I haven't experienced the same problem running on Mac OS X, although I
> did need to bump up the memory allocated for eclipse (in the eclipse.ini
> file) to 512M because the WebTools would run out of memory with 256M.
>
> I am running with Java 5 on both platforms.
>
> The WSDL and XSD file I am using are just simple, small test examples.
> They do function correctly when the CPU isn't locked up on Win2K,
> however the frequency of this performance problem is becoming too high
> to continue unless I can work around it.
>
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this kind of high CPU consumption/lockup on
> Windows with Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools?
>
>
>
Re: Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools performance on Win2K [message #173871 is a reply to message #173728] Tue, 11 July 2006 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Williams is currently offline David WilliamsFriend
Messages: 700
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 04:09:57 -0400, Tomasz Pik <pikus@ais.pl> wrote:

>
> I've the same problems with Eclipse3.2+WebTools.
> Sometimes it just 'dies', without a pattern so I've no idea, how to
> make a test case to reproduce problem, problem appears while opening
> preferences editor, opening/closing project, opening java file, editin=
g
> java file and other cases.
> It's on WinXP, with java version "1.5.0_06", single processor.
>

These problem where it appears to "die" are different than the
performance slow downs or hangs that started this thread. These are
mostly likely "out of memory" errors, and, as out of memory
sometimes means not even enough memory is left for an error
message, it appears to end-user just to "die".

Especially if Sun's 1.5 VM's are used. This is a fairly well documented
problem, the main solution being ...
"If you are going to use Sun's VM, try to use the new 1.5.0_07 vers=
ion,
and you may still need to set -XX:MaxPermSize=3D128m"
See
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=3D129490
Re: Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools performance on Win2K [message #173879 is a reply to message #173792] Tue, 11 July 2006 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Originally posted by: s.soap.com

I suffered from this problem too, Sun 1.5.0_07 + eclipse 3.2 + callisto.
My stupid solution is, restart the eclipse regularly.....once a hour....

"Wolfgang Knauf" <wknauf_NO_@_INSIDE_hg-online.de>
???????:e8tuge$c2h$1@utils.eclipse.org...
>I have seen this problem, too. My workspace contains a dynamic web app with
>some classes and some JSPs, a dynamic web project with a small webservice,
>and a java project with a webservice client. It happens sometimes that
>eclipse freezes or behaves really strange.
>
> But unfortunately this does not look reproducable, and unfortunately I'm
> lacking the time to do more research :-(.
>
> Waiting for 1.5.1, then...
>
> Wolfgang
>
>
> Pat Podenski wrote:
>> I have had some real performance problems with Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools
>> performance on Win2K. I downloaded the Eclipse 3.2GA runtime and used
>> update to add required components for WebTools from the Callisto update
>> site.
>>
>> I am using the WSDL Editor, WebService Wizard and Web Service Explorer.
>> Various times a day and not necessarily tied to any particular operation
>> (could be creating web service, or just selecting from a menu) Eclipse
>> starts sucking up the entire CPU and requires a process termination.
>>
>> At first I suspected problems with workspaces used with the RCn releases,
>> but even starting with a new, empty workspace the CPU lockup still
>> occurs. I noted that Web Service Explorer was using the internal web
>> browser which appeared to possibly use IE to render its XML views, tried
>> launching externally to Firefox, but still experience CPU lockups.
>>
>> I haven't experienced the same problem running on Mac OS X, although I
>> did need to bump up the memory allocated for eclipse (in the eclipse.ini
>> file) to 512M because the WebTools would run out of memory with 256M.
>>
>> I am running with Java 5 on both platforms.
>>
>> The WSDL and XSD file I am using are just simple, small test examples.
>> They do function correctly when the CPU isn't locked up on Win2K, however
>> the frequency of this performance problem is becoming too high to
>> continue unless I can work around it.
>>
>> Any ideas would be appreciated.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this kind of high CPU consumption/lockup on
>> Windows with Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools?
>>
>>
Workaround for Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools 100% CPU usage on Win2K [message #173937 is a reply to message #173541] Wed, 12 July 2006 02:15 Go to previous message
No real name is currently offline No real nameFriend
Messages: 19
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Thanks to a tip, I have a confirmed workaround for the 100% CPU usage
problem with Eclipse 3.2GA + WebTools.

In the eclipse.ini file, increase heap size (256m to 512m) and add the
MaxPermSize setting. Here is an excerpt from my eclipse.ini file contents
for reference:

-vmargs
-Xms40m
-Xmx512m
-XX:MaxPermSize=128m

I have logged a bug against the 100% CPU usage problem in Eclipse Bugzilla:

Summary: 100% cpu usage on Win2K (and others)
Bug #: 150337
URL: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=150337
Previous Topic:how to integrate jsp editor into my tools
Next Topic:web tools : html editor
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Mon Nov 24 22:57:09 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02318 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software