|Re: Cannot install plug-in through the update site I have created using Eclipse [message #1136988 is a reply to message #1123595]
||Mon, 14 October 2013 07:35
| Kivanc Muslu
Registered: November 2010
Hi everyone, |
I have solved the problem. I don't know exactly how, however here are some steps that I hope will help other people for solving or debugging similar problems.
It really helps you to understand the problem better (since the error message does not tell anything about it), if you add plug-in to your feature one-by-one. Your feature will be broken, however if there is a plug-in that has a missing dependency, then you can detect it along the way. Up to some point (the point where you add the problem plug-in), your feature will install correctly through the update site and then it will start failing. This was not the case with my problem.
While debugging, I tried to double check the dependencies that my plug-ins and features require. Along the way, I did:
Break down my feature into two features. It was already like this conceptually. I was quite happy (and frustrated) when I see that my smaller feature installed without any problems
Double check the dependent plug-ins for each plug-in in my feature. Although I try to be quite careful while adding dependencies, I still found a few inconsistencies during this time. I do not know whether this was the main problem, but in any case, it is a good thing to do.
Finally, I realized that in my main feature, under the "Dependencies" tab, I have not selected "Recompute when feature plug-ins change" and the list of dependencies were empty! I highly believe that this was the main problem, but I do not have a proof. When you say "Compute" here, Eclipse automatically fills the list for you, so I really wonder why this is not a default process.
Hope it helps to other people.
Powered by FUDForum
. Page generated in 0.03930 seconds