Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Marketplace Client Project » Difference between Eclipse: "Help->Marketplace" and "Help->Install new software(Difference between Eclipse: "Help->Marketplace" and "Help->Install new software")
Difference between Eclipse: "Help->Marketplace" and "Help->Install new software [message #1113092] Fri, 20 September 2013 16:31 Go to next message
zoran minhen is currently offline zoran minhenFriend
Hi,

I am wondering what is the difference between:

Eclipse -> Help -> Marketplace
and:

Eclipse -> Help -> "Install new software" ?

using both option one could install the same software/plug-ins/tools, right ?

best regards,
Z.

[Updated on: Sat, 21 September 2013 07:43]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Difference between Eclipse: "Help->Marketplace" and "Help->Install new soft [message #1114373 is a reply to message #1113092] Sun, 22 September 2013 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Seidel is currently offline Tom SeidelFriend
No, not really. The Marketplace Wizard is a interface for several websites that provide different plugins. These websites are maintained in general by the provider of this site.

The "install new software" Wizard points to several URLs which provide p2 repositories to install any software you like.

Main difference
Marketplace: You can install the bundles (and only the bundles) hosted by the selected marketplace
Install new software: Add a URL and you can install all bundles the URLs repository provides.

Tom
Re: Difference between Eclipse: "Help->Marketplace" and "Help->Install new soft [message #1114821 is a reply to message #1114373] Mon, 23 September 2013 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Tom,

I was looking for Eclipse documentation where I would find by myself answer on this(or similar) question but I faild.
Could you please tell me where is the most complete documentation of Eclipse to be found ?

PS. Is there any option here to mark your answer as "ANSWERED" ?

regards,
Z.
Re: Difference between Eclipse: "Help->Marketplace" and "Help->Install new soft [message #1115005 is a reply to message #1114821] Mon, 23 September 2013 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tom Seidel is currently offline Tom SeidelFriend
Well, there are different locations Smile

Documentation about installing new software can be found at http://help.eclipse.org/kepler/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.user/tasks/tasks-129.htm

A good source of goals and features of the Eclipse Marketplace is probably the project proposal that can be found at http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/mpc/

Tom
Re: Difference between Eclipse: "Help->Marketplace" and "Help->Install new soft [message #1115143 is a reply to message #1115005] Mon, 23 September 2013 18:22 Go to previous message
Thanks Tom,

as you understend much better Eclipse project, could you please explain how it is possible that on official Eclipse dokumentation site:
http://help.eclipse.org/kepler/index.jsp

there is no match on one of the menu items such as "Eclipse Marketplace" ?
To me as newcomers to Eclipse this looks as not "very happy" documented project.

regards,
Z.
Previous Topic:Linux (Fedora) Marketplace access problem
Next Topic:Error. Cannot install remote marketplace locations.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:32:07 GMT 2024