Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Using the wiki to track documentation gaps?
Using the wiki to track documentation gaps? [message #1100146] Mon, 02 September 2013 19:00 Go to next message
Chris Snow is currently offline Chris SnowFriend
I have used the eclipse bugzilla in the past to record missing documentation. However, I've been thinking: rather than using the eclipse bugzilla would it make sense to add a single wiki page that lists and records the status of missing documentation? E.g.

Scout/Concepts/Bookmark work in progress

TODO: Description, Screenshots Examples, Desktop Code Snippet, Bookmark Service Code Snippet

Scout/Tutorial/3.9/Modular_Application work in progress

TODO: Injected Fields howto (see http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/mv/msg/509602/1095131/#msg_1095131)

Etc..

The documentation status page would allow newbies to see the areas of documentation that are still being worked on rather than having to search through the forum for snippets of information. Searching through the forum is quite difficult for a newbie because half the time you don't know what to search for.
Re: Using the wiki to track documentation gaps? [message #1100502 is a reply to message #1100146] Tue, 03 September 2013 07:34 Go to previous message
Matthias Zimmermann is currently offline Matthias ZimmermannFriend
This would certainly help newbies to get a better understanding of the current situation. On the other hand, I tend to prefer bugzilla for the following reasons:

* It allows to track who is missing which part of documentation (and let the person verify improved documentation)
* It allows voting on the open topics, which helps to priorize and assign resources to gaps considered important by the community
* It is easy to specify the Scout release for which the documentation is missing

As we have the Scout Docs component in bugzilla, it is also easy to filter all bugs related to documentation. This makes me think that we could simply add the proposed documentation status page by providing a set of bugzilla queries.

What are your thoughts?

Previous Topic:RDBMS backed CalendarService
Next Topic:Scout calendar service information
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 17:29:41 GMT 2024