Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » BIRT Does not respond(Execute BIRT standalone no WL - it hangs)
BIRT Does not respond [message #1095208] Mon, 26 August 2013 19:49 Go to next message
Eclipse Beginner is currently offline Eclipse BeginnerFriend
Hi,

Need some help:
I am running some report designs through BIRT runtime, but it hangs randomly. Sometime it returns and sometimes it just hangs and sits for hours. Unix truss shows process sleeping and there are no active DB connections. How can I debug it and find what it is doing ?

TIA
J
Re: BIRT Does not respond [message #1095962 is a reply to message #1095208] Tue, 27 August 2013 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

What is your BIRT version? Any way you can send me a set of reports that I can run and your Java class you're using to run the reports with that you're getting this issue with? This way I can try to see if I'm getting the issue too?

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: BIRT Does not respond [message #1095965 is a reply to message #1095962] Tue, 27 August 2013 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You could always write out to the console from within the report and within your Java class to try to find where your hangup is, too.

Michael

Re: BIRT Does not respond [message #1096744 is a reply to message #1095965] Wed, 28 August 2013 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Michael (as always).
Can you please help me on how to put these messages in the report design itself ?

I am trying to restructure the design so that i can share it with you (give me a day or 2), but as I see, it can only be re-produced when there is large number of groups (say > 100)coupled with large amount of data. I will publish the design at the earliest for you to take a look at.
In addition, Java class is simply creating objects and running RunAndRenderTask; are there any parameters or attributes that I can set for performance ? I explored the forum but looks like all the attributes are preset - confused Confused
Re: BIRT Does not respond [message #1096955 is a reply to message #1096744] Thu, 29 August 2013 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

There are lots of different script methods in the report. You could use System.out.println() to print to the command prompt when you reach a certain method in the report. This would give you an idea of where it's hanging up based on the last script method that you encounter. You might also look at the log files to see if there is anything in there that will help you figure out where it's running into issues.

Michael

Re: BIRT Does not respond [message #1097351 is a reply to message #1096955] Thu, 29 August 2013 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool, btw I timed it. I let the process go on and it returned in ~10 hours generating a report of around 5 MB. My analysis says 2 things - one spudsoft appears to have some lower hand on performance than the earlier BIRT (I might be wrong) and second, xlsx grouping function.
I opened one xlsx and it has a heavy grouping function in it. Is there a way to disable the grouping function ? I believe arctorus does that. Thoughts please...
Re: BIRT Does not respond [message #1097501 is a reply to message #1097351] Thu, 29 August 2013 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Can you attach a sample report that shows your issue with the grouping function? Thanks! Smile

Michael

Re: BIRT Does not respond [message #1098189 is a reply to message #1097501] Fri, 30 August 2013 18:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here you go. If you open this sample you will see that excel groups it by itself.
But I got around it using ExcelEmitters.DisableGroup. Unfortunately it did not help with performance. I see there are too many calls like below, and when I time it against a small dataset the time shown in ODI query execution just goes 4 times and more....

I am new to this so am not able to make much sense out of below.. is there any thing that you can suggest I should try ? The same design works good with smaller datasets but as it grows it becomes very sad ..

Aug 30, 2013 1:47:19 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.cache.SmartCacheHelper populateData
INFO: MemoryCache is used
Aug 30, 2013 1:47:19 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.executor.cache.SmartCacheHelper populateData
INFO: Time consumed by cache is: 0 second
Aug 30, 2013 1:47:19 PM org.eclipse.birt.data.engine.impl.QueryResults getResultIterator
INFO: ODI query execution: 143 ms
Re: BIRT Does not respond [message #1098193 is a reply to message #1097501] Fri, 30 August 2013 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and my apologies, I think I have reached the same point which we are discussing on another thread: http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/513229/

I did not realize that these will cross. So perhaps we can merge the two or the way you feel okay with..
Re: BIRT Does not respond [message #1101074 is a reply to message #1098193] Wed, 04 September 2013 01:24 Go to previous message

We can just continue on in the other one. Smile

Michael

Previous Topic:Page numbers outside of page margins
Next Topic:Configure Oracle JDBC OCI Datasource
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 00:59:41 GMT 2024