Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » indexer in Kepler is unusable, logs errors on *every* source file
indexer in Kepler is unusable, logs errors on *every* source file [message #1067624] Tue, 09 July 2013 16:24
Vlad R is currently offline Vlad RFriend
I think others have reported problems with indexer in Kepler stemming from heap exhaustion or garbage collector overload. I suspect those are just symptoms of some more fundamental errors which can be seen via the "Error Log" view.

In my case, upgrading to Kepler from Indigo made a modest codebase (~350 .cpp files) completely unindexable even with 3G max heap size and regardless of indexer settings (except for "disable", of course Smile). Each reindexing run rotates through several error log files filled with two types of exceptions:

java.lang.ClassCastException: org.eclipse.cdt.internal.core.dom.parser.cpp.CPPBasicType cannot be cast to org.eclipse.cdt.core.dom.ast.IBinding

and

java.lang.Exception: Unsafe method call. Instantiation of dependent expressions may not work

There is steady memory consumption throughout the process and increasing max heap size may help it complete without a total "internal error" Eclipse abort, but the resulting index is defective (has many files that "could not be indexed") and the next index update is sure to crash the IDE.

Full stack traces and further details logged as issue 412555
Previous Topic:Corrupted characters in textarea
Next Topic:Phantom .o file from header
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:59:37 GMT 2024