Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » How can I Fast-forward?
icon8.gif  How can I Fast-forward? [message #1066057] Sat, 29 June 2013 15:08 Go to next message
Andrew Ducker is currently offline Andrew DuckerFriend
Hi!

I've just done a Pull of code from GitHub of all the changes I've done on my other computer. The project now has a down-arrow and an 8 next to it, which I assume means that there are 8 commits in the repository ahead of the current state of my "head".

How do I tell it to fast-forward and move master and HEAD to the most-recent commit (which is origin/master and FETCH_HEAD)?

This seems like fairly obvious functionality - to pick up the latest version of the code from the remote repository, but I'm darned if I can work out what I'm supposed to do.

What am I missing?

Thanks!
Re: How can I Fast-forward? [message #1066356 is a reply to message #1066057] Tue, 02 July 2013 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthew Webber is currently offline Matthew WebberFriend
Did you actually do a "Pull" (rather than a "Fetch") using Egit? That works for me. "Fetch", on the other hand, will update your local clone, but not merge the newly downloaded commits into your working copy.

Note that your use of the term "fast forward" might indicate some confusion. Do you actually mean "update my local clone and working copy"?? This might be done by a fast-forward, or it might require a merge. A fast-forward is a very specific type of update. it is not a general term for "update to the latest".
Re: How can I Fast-forward? [message #1078094 is a reply to message #1066057] Fri, 02 August 2013 14:34 Go to previous message
Stefan Lay is currently offline Stefan LayFriend
Hi Andrew,

just select the most-recent commit (which is origin/master and FETCH_HEAD) in the history view and then "Merge" in the context menu.

Or select origin/master in the Git repositories View and then also Merge.

Normally, when you pull, the merge should have been done also (or a rebase, if this is configured the local branch). How did you create the local branch?

Fast Forward is a special case of Merge when the the current HEAD is already in the history of the commit you want to merge into.

Stefan
Previous Topic:First time checkout of remote tracking branch
Next Topic:How to view an old version of a non-text file?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 07:29:08 GMT 2024