Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » WindowBuilder » misplaced selection-frame for elements
misplaced selection-frame for elements [message #1065191] Mon, 24 June 2013 17:16 Go to next message
Mar Schu is currently offline Mar SchuFriend
Hi,

im using juno (4.2) on Ubuntu 12.04 (32bit). Sometimes, if i select an element on the design tab, the selection frame is above the element. I attached a image, which shows this issue.

If i refresh the view, mostly this error disappears

This also happens using indigo.

Is there a solution for this?

Thanks.

Re: misplaced selection-frame for elements [message #1065218 is a reply to message #1065191] Mon, 24 June 2013 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eric Clayberg is currently offline Eric ClaybergFriend
Does it matter which window manager you are using? This is usually caused by a very specific combination of Linux distro and window manager version. Basically, the window manager is reporting the wrong position for the component so WB draws the selection box in the wrong place.

Do you have a test case that will consistently reproduce this? It doesn't happen on any of the Linux versions we are using.
Re: misplaced selection-frame for elements [message #1065225 is a reply to message #1065218] Mon, 24 June 2013 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi and thank you for your reply,

i tested it with Unity 2D, which use metacity as window manager, and the problem disappears. Under normal Unity which use compiz if have this problem. To reproduce this error, just use Absolute Layout and on Button.
Re: misplaced selection-frame for elements [message #1065236 is a reply to message #1065225] Mon, 24 June 2013 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We've run into lots of problems with compiz over the years, so I'm not surprised.
Re: misplaced selection-frame for elements [message #1065429 is a reply to message #1065236] Tue, 25 June 2013 16:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, this sounds like there is no solution for this problem.
Re: misplaced selection-frame for elements [message #1065444 is a reply to message #1065429] Tue, 25 June 2013 17:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's open source, so there is always a solution if you want it bad enough and are willing to get you hands dirty.

In this case, a work around for the specific combination of Linux distro and window manager could probably be created, but it isn't something that any of the current WB committers is interested in. We've been down that path before and spent (wasted) many, many hours digging into buggy Linux distros... so much so that we pretty much hate Linux as a platform to support. There is almost no compatibility between Linux distros or even versions of the same distro. Frankly, it's a mess!

That said, it is open source, so patches are always welcome! We would be thrilled to receive a general purpose patch that would work with all Linux distros and window managers.
Re: misplaced selection-frame for elements [message #1232374 is a reply to message #1065191] Thu, 16 January 2014 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joel Dixon is currently offline Joel DixonFriend
So I would guess that a LOT of professionals (myself included) use the latest LTS release of one of the biggest distros, Ubuntu. Why aren't more people complaining about this problem or finding a work-around? WindowBuilder looks plain silly with this problem.

I understand it's a problem with Compiz, but does anyone have a work-around besides just not using Compiz?? Is there an open issue to the Ubuntu LTS community? LTS does stand for Long-Term-Support.
Re: misplaced selection-frame for elements [message #1748177 is a reply to message #1232374] Sun, 20 November 2016 16:26 Go to previous message
Alexander Zolotukhin is currently offline Alexander ZolotukhinFriend
I created sample JFrame with default settings and added menu bar.
Just pressing <F5> to update the window brings different results as if WindowBuilder has internal RNG to decide the outcome.
Compiz or no Compiz, I believe it's WB to blame in this case.

I attached three screenshots to illustrate my point.
  • Attachment: 1.png
    (Size: 62.86KB, Downloaded 178 times)
  • Attachment: 2.png
    (Size: 63.13KB, Downloaded 180 times)
  • Attachment: 3.png
    (Size: 59.19KB, Downloaded 172 times)
Previous Topic:Neon/WindowBuilder crashes
Next Topic:Internal error
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:35:55 GMT 2024