Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Hudson » How can we execute Hudson\Jenkins Job using logged on user credential
How can we execute Hudson\Jenkins Job using logged on user credential [message #1064814] Fri, 21 June 2013 08:26 Go to next message
Vijendra Patil is currently offline Vijendra PatilFriend
Hi,

I need to execute few of the Hudson\Jenkins jobs such as "Release to Production" through Hudson\Jenkins UI using logged on user credential. The reason is, its the Support Team Members who have access to the production boxes, so in order to deploy any code base to production, all the Windows Deploy Commands (ex, create, update files, folder etc.) needs to be run with specific user credential who has access to the Production Box.

I tried using parameterized plugin but couldn't able to pass the Password successfully to the batch file which contains MSDeploy instructions.

I checked Role based security plugin, but that doesn't help me much. I just need a plugin which should ask for user to provide their credential before start building the Job and should use the user credential to get the job executed, so that my MSDeploy command will be able to deploy the code on Production boxes, when the Support team member build that Job using their credential. I wish there was support for impersonation. Using "psexec" is very unsecure mechanism to get the Job(.bat file) executed.

Right now all the Hudson\Jenkins Jobs are getting executed using the service account which the Tomcat service is configured to run with on which Hudson\Jenkins is hosted.

Any help would be appreciated.
Re: How can we execute Hudson\Jenkins Job using logged on user credential [message #1064896 is a reply to message #1064814] Fri, 21 June 2013 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bob Foster is currently offline Bob FosterFriend
Have you tried http://wiki.hudson-ci.org/display/HUDSON/Active+Directory+plugin ?
Re: How can we execute Hudson\Jenkins Job using logged on user credential [message #1064963 is a reply to message #1064896] Sat, 22 June 2013 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vijendra Patil is currently offline Vijendra PatilFriend
Thanks for the reply. Yes we are using active directory plugin. But not sure how does this plugin will help me to solve my problem. After using this plugin will I be able to execute hudson jobs using the credential of logged on user? My scenario is I want a job "Release To Production" which executes MSDeploy commands on the Production Web Server. Now since the Developer team don't have access to Prod web server these Jobs will be executed by Support Team. But the problem here is, the hudson job executes the Jobs using the credential of service account which the Tomcat service is running on which hudson is deployed. This service account doesn't have access to prod web server. So I need the hudon jobs should get executed under the credential of logged on user.

At least there has to be some kind of option for each Hudson Job, say a checkbox such as "Execute As Another User", so that whenever this Job gets executed, it will ask for User Credential and use that credential to execute the Job.

Please help us solve my problem.

Thanks,
Vijendra
Re: How can we execute Hudson\Jenkins Job using logged on user credential [message #1065190 is a reply to message #1064963] Mon, 24 June 2013 17:12 Go to previous message
Bob Foster is currently offline Bob FosterFriend
Doesn't the answer you got in the Jenkins forum - Install an SSH server and you can set it up to run jobs on local hosts under a different user id - work for you?

I get you think it would be easy if jobs could run under the authority of the active user, but they can't. Try the slaves approach.
Previous Topic:new svn external causes NullPointerException
Next Topic:Hudson remote api usage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:18:52 GMT 2024