Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Run configurations and commands being executed
Run configurations and commands being executed [message #1064143] Mon, 17 June 2013 19:09 Go to next message
J. Zufallig is currently offline J. ZufalligFriend
We're using the bog standard Java EE package, version Juno SR2. The project at hand builds an executable JAR file using an Ant task; it builds both inside Eclipse and outside using standalone 'ant' tools.

In trying to track down a bug, I'm wanting to step through this code in the debugger. So I'm trying to make a "Run configuration", which is something I've never done before. (Other IDEs don't seem to need it, but then, most of the time I'd just be using plain gdb.)

Fiddling around with the "(x)=Arguments" tab of the run configuration is particularly troublesome. Two things are causing grief:

(1) When we click "Variables..." to choose from the list of builtin variables, none of them are being set at runtime. Using ${build_project} and ${project_loc} just result in Eclipse popup errors saying that the variables are unset. So for now we're just hardcoding the paths. Is there some documented list of working variables?

(2) For combinations of arguments that actually run, we get output in the Console window that indicates missing or misformatted parameters. Okay, that's on us to fix... but we can't figure out what's actually being generated by Eclipse. Is there a toggle somewhere to make Run configurations echo their final commands before executing them, the way make does? Being forced to guess is extremely frustrating.
Re: Run configurations and commands being executed [message #1064152 is a reply to message #1064143] Mon, 17 June 2013 20:36 Go to previous message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

Open the Debug View and look at the root-most node that actually has the running Java class name in it. Right-click and open its Properties to see how it was run.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Previous Topic:Bug I cant Figure Out
Next Topic:Eclipse stops working when opening quotes before closing the HTML tag
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 11:04:47 GMT 2024