Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Can't link libs - help please!(problem linking with external libraries)
Can't link libs - help please! [message #1061996] Wed, 05 June 2013 10:16 Go to next message
Peter Ritter is currently offline Peter RitterFriend

Hello

I just recently moved to Eclipse CDT after 15 years of MS Visual Studio, and I have to say that so far - I love it. It took a little while to get used to and configure the IDE, but overall Eclipse is great - especially the multithreaded compiling which is just insanely fast on my 6 core pc.

However, I have run into a problem which is driving me mad. I am currently porting a charting library which uses the GD graphics library. I now realize that I spent the last few month working on my own code and hadn't linked to any external libs at all. So, configuring the link directories and lib files was something I hadn't done so far. And I can't get it to work for the life of me. There is probably a really simple solution for this, but I don't see it. I need to link to two lib files:
1) libTSAPI.a
2) libgd.so

in their respective directories:
1)/home/peter/_PR_DEV_/DEV_PROJECTS/EclipseProjects/TSAPI/Debug
2)/usr/lib64

I have set this up using the Eclipse IDE in
Project-> Properties-> GCC C++ Linker -> Libraries

I have dropped the 'lib' prefix and the compiler/linker now give me the following message:

Building target: TS_CHART
Invoking: GCC C++ Linker
g++ -L/usr/lib64 -L/home/peter/_PR_DEV_/DEV_PROJECTS/EclipseProjects/TSAPI/Debug -o "TS_CHART" ./Testing/MainDriver.o ./Testing/TSC_TESTING.o ./Testing/TSC_TEST_ChartBasic.o ./Testing/TSC_TEST_ChartMaker.o ./Testing/TSC_TEST_HighLevel.o ./Source/TSCChartBorder.o ./Source/TSCChartMaker.o ./Source/TSCColor.o ./Source/TSCDataSeries.o ./Source/TSCIcons.o ./Source/TSCImage.o ./Source/TSCPane.o ./Source/TSCPaneHeader.o ./Source/TSCPlotArea.o ./Source/TSCPlots.o ./Source/TSCPositionChart.o ./Source/TSCPriceAxis.o ./Source/TSCPriceLegend.o ./Source/TSCPropertyMap.o ./Source/TSCTimeLegend.o ./Source/TSCWrapper.o -lgd.so -lTSAPI.a
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgd.so
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lTSAPI.a
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [TS_CHART] Error 1

So, it cannot find either library! I have checked both directories give with -L in a terminal and I'm sure they exist and that the lib files are in them. Why does the linker not find them? I spent most of my day on this yesterday, and I feel I learned quite a bit about how to get around the Eclipse IDE, but was not able to build my project. I would really appreciate if somebody could give me a hint on what I'm doing wrong.

Best Regards, Peter Ritter

Re: Can't link libs - help please! [message #1062072 is a reply to message #1061996] Wed, 05 June 2013 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David Wegener is currently offline David WegenerFriend
You need to drop the suffixes (.so and .a) as well. The library names should be gd an TSAPI.
Re: Can't link libs - help please! [message #1062145 is a reply to message #1062072] Thu, 06 June 2013 08:47 Go to previous message
Peter Ritter is currently offline Peter RitterFriend
Hi David

>>>You need to drop the suffixes (.so and .a) as well.

Thank you so much David!! It worked. I thought I was acting informed by dropping the prefix. Strangely enough it didn't even occur to me that dropping the suffixes was even a possibility otherwise I'd have tried that. Must be a form of platform brainwash.

At least I can get on with work now. I am very grateful for the help!

Best Regards, Peter
Previous Topic:CDT Code Formatting and struct operators
Next Topic:CDT and friends
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:23:39 GMT 2024