Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » BIRT » BIRT 3.7.2 or later version working on WebSphere 8 (BIRT report porlet used to work on WebSphere Portal 7 stop working on 8 )
BIRT 3.7.2 or later version working on WebSphere 8 [message #1048410] Wed, 24 April 2013 12:32 Go to next message
Howard Yeung is currently offline Howard YeungFriend
Just wonder anyone has made BIRT working with IBM WebSphere Portal or application server 8. It seems that IBM changes how the common logging is used on WebSphere 8 and it breaks the BIRT.

Re: BIRT 3.7.2 or later version working on WebSphere 8 [message #1048649 is a reply to message #1048410] Wed, 24 April 2013 19:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

What is the error you're getting?

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: BIRT 3.7.2 or later version working on WebSphere 8 [message #1049265 is a reply to message #1048649] Thu, 25 April 2013 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael, Thanks for replying.

The issue is log related, as in the following error when the portlet (which uses BIRT 3.72 report) starts.

The only hint that this is BIRT and WebSphere 8 related is that the portlet will work (the non-BIRT part of the functions) if I remove all the BIRT jar files from the portlet/lib directory.

I understand that IBM changes how the common-logging work in WebSphere Portal 8. May be that causes the BIRT portlet form working. The portlet will not even start when the BIRT jar files are included.

Serialization provider : class org.apache.myfaces.shared_impl.util.serial.DefaultSerialFactory
[4/12/13 8:43:00:190 EDT] 00000049 AbstractFaces E An error occured while initializing MyFaces: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: org.apache.commons.logging.LogConfigurationException: Class org.apache.commons.logging.impl.Log4JLogger does not implement Log
Re: BIRT 3.7.2 or later version working on WebSphere 8 [message #1050302 is a reply to message #1049265] Sat, 27 April 2013 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Williams is currently offline Michael WilliamsFriend

I've not seen anyone else have this issue, yet. Are you using the POJO runtime? If so, maybe you could try the OSGi runtime to see if that stops any conflicts with jars in WebSphere.

Michael

Developer Evangelist, Silanis
Re: BIRT 3.7.2 or later version working on WebSphere 8 [message #1053132 is a reply to message #1050302] Thu, 02 May 2013 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have better luck with the OSGi runtime. The portlet was deployed with the non-Birt functions working properly. However the BIRT report does not work. I got the following exception:

I have gone through the other trouble-shooting steps as in the POJO document to make sure the classpath is set to application loaded first. But I still have the same issue.

- error.CannotStartupOSGIPlatform

org.eclipse.birt.core.exception.BirtException: error.CannotStartupOSGIPlatform
at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.Platform.startup(Platform.java:81)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.service.ReportEngineService.setEngineContext(ReportEngineService.java:328)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.service.BirtViewerReportService.setContext(BirtViewerReportService.java:1022)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.servlet.ViewerServlet.__getContext(ViewerServlet.java:148)
at org.eclipse.birt.report.servlet.BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.doGet(BirtSoapMessageDispatcherServlet.java:151)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:575)

Caused by: org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.FrameworkException: Cant register the ExtensionRegistry classpath
at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.jar.ServiceLauncher.startup(ServiceLauncher.java:99)
at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.Platform.startup(Platform.java:75)
... 38 more
Caused by: org.eclipse.core.runtime.CoreException: Extension registry provider is already set.
at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.RegistryProviderFactory.setDefault(RegistryProviderFactory.java:31)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.RegistryFactory.setDefaultRegistryProvider(RegistryFactory.java:129)
at org.eclipse.birt.core.framework.jar.ServiceLauncher.startup(ServiceLauncher.java:84)
... 39 more

Re: BIRT 3.7.2 or later version working on WebSphere 8 [message #1053499 is a reply to message #1053132] Mon, 06 May 2013 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
donino donino is currently offline donino doninoFriend
Hi,

Is your BIRT runtime embedded in the portlet scope (in WEB-INF/lib folder), or in a shared folder of websphere? If it is shared, you could try to put it within WEB-INF/lib to limit possible side-effects and conflicts. I know it is not very smart, in particular when we want to restart the webapp, but it often resolves issues.

If you already tried this, i also encountered this issue with eXo, i was able to solve it on jBoss7 by creating a specific module dependency for the BIRT runtime. iI don't know if websphere 8 implemements something like module dependency?

[Updated on: Mon, 06 May 2013 10:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: BIRT 3.7.2 or later version working on WebSphere 8 [message #1160759 is a reply to message #1053499] Tue, 29 October 2013 10:33 Go to previous message
Prasanna Mondkar is currently offline Prasanna MondkarFriend
Hi Howard Yeung,

I had exactly the same error as yours. I am using BIRT 3.7.2 and IBM WAS 8.5

With reference to the bug detailed below,
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=351052

I added the following line before the Platform.startup(..) call
RegistryProviderFactory.releaseDefault();

After this, BIRT reports are working fine.

I'm doubtful, as to whether this will break anything in WAS's runtime or not. BIRT's Platform start-up does set a Registry Provider, so i guess that should be fine. The only concern here is maybe the Provider set by BIRT may not be compatible with what WAS wants. Experts, please help me here ...

Also, Please have a look at the following bug as well,
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=412103

This is the actual bug, occurs, when Platform restart is attempted.
But, in our case, WAS runtime has started the Platform, with the RegistryProvider set by it.
Here, the problem is more of BIRT runtime not re-using (or does not wants to / cannot re-use) a Registry Provider if already set. Maybe, it needs its own version.

I'm not sure of the solution i have used.
Experts, please guide ...
Previous Topic:please help increase java heap size
Next Topic:JDBC Connection via IPV6
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:33:05 GMT 2024