Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Virgo » Vrigo tooling does not copy static resources to 'work' after change(Vrigo tooling does not copy static resources to 'work' after change)
Vrigo tooling does not copy static resources to 'work' after change [message #1037449] Tue, 09 April 2013 15:15 Go to next message
Jay Huang is currently offline Jay HuangFriend
Hi, I've been having a strange problem with the virgo tooling . Whenever I update static resources( javascript and css), the tooling says something like "Publishing to virgo server...." in the eclipse progress bar, and the "servers" view shows the bundle is refreshing. However,after all, the updated file is not copied to the "work" directory of virgo. I used to solve this by using a script to copy the resource folder to the 'work' dir when the deploy path was fixed for every bundle. But now, the paths are dynamic, I have to redeply the whole bundle every time i make a change.

I am using VTS 3.6.0.M2, Tooling :
Eclipse Virgo Tools 1.0.1.201302270038-RELEASE org.eclipse.virgo.ide.feature.feature.group Eclipse Virgo

Thanks.

[Updated on: Fri, 19 April 2013 02:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: how to disable virgo tomcat jsp cache? [message #1037531 is a reply to message #1037449] Tue, 09 April 2013 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Violeta Georgieva is currently offline Violeta GeorgievaFriend
Hi,

We do support Tomcat's context functionality.
More info can be found in the documentation [1].

Regards
Violeta

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/virgo/documentation/virgo-documentation-3.6.1.RELEASE/docs/virgo-user-guide/htmlsingle/virgo-user-guide.html#configuring-tomcat -> Context Configuration
Re: how to disable virgo tomcat jsp cache? [message #1043955 is a reply to message #1037531] Thu, 18 April 2013 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jay Huang is currently offline Jay HuangFriend
Hi Violeta, thanks for your reply. I've been having a strange problem with the virgo tooling . Whenever I update static resources( javascript and css), the tooling says something like "Publishing to virgo server...." in the eclipse progress bar, and the "servers" view shows the bundle is refreshing. However,after all, the updated file is not copied to the "work" directory of virgo. I used to solve this by using a script to copy the resource folder to the 'work' dir when the deploy path was fixed for every bundle. But now, the paths are dynamic, I have to redeply the whole bundle every time i make a change.

I am using VTS 3.6.0.M2, Tooling :
Eclipse Virgo Tools 1.0.1.201302270038-RELEASE org.eclipse.virgo.ide.feature.feature.group Eclipse Virgo

Thanks.
Re: how to disable virgo tomcat jsp cache? [message #1220505 is a reply to message #1043955] Thu, 12 December 2013 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jan Fockaert is currently offline Jan FockaertFriend
Hey,

I'm having the same problem, not refreshing the static resources until a manual redeploy. The Virgo version I'm currently using is 3.6.2. I've already set the "Automatically publish when resources change" correct.

If I missed out of a additional configuration, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jan
Re: Vrigo tooling does not copy static resources to 'work' after change [message #1220704 is a reply to message #1037449] Fri, 13 December 2013 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GianMaria Romanato is currently offline GianMaria RomanatoFriend
Hi,

I had similar issues with non non class-file resources.

In my experience, the best approach consists in disabling auto-publish completely.

In this way, Virgo Tools will perform auto-publish when you start the server, but any subsequent change executed during development will not be published automatically.

For Java sources, the JVM will help you here: in debug mode the JVM will replace the class definition when you build, provided that the class "interface" is not changed. If the JVM fails to do the bytecode replacement because you added a method, changed a signature, etc, you can manually perform a publish via CTRL-ALT-P or the context menu. To the contrary if you keep auto-publish enabled and publish on build or on save, you'll have the bundle redeployed any time a trivial class file change is performed, which results in a waste of time.

Also, I am using this approach in combination with a little eclipse plug-in I wrote that allows me to use the Virgo Tools with Eclipse PDE. In this way I use PDE for development, and Virgo Tools just for publishing artefacts and starting the server.
https://github.com/giamma/pde2virgo/

GianMaria.
Re: Vrigo tooling does not copy static resources to 'work' after change [message #1221491 is a reply to message #1037449] Tue, 17 December 2013 20:33 Go to previous message
jc perron is currently offline jc perronFriend
Hi Jay,

Do you have the same problem using PAR and PLAN. Currently in my development environment I'm using PAR to avoid this problem.

Thanks for the info GianMaria I will try your plug-in !

JC
Previous Topic:virgo-kernel-3.6.2.RELEASE as windows service
Next Topic:Web app fails to start when including ContextLoaderListener in web.xml
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 01:05:01 GMT 2024