Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Scout » Scalability concerns
Scalability concerns [message #1034645] Fri, 05 April 2013 18:07 Go to next message
Patrick Tournet is currently offline Patrick TournetFriend
Hello,

I'm currently doing some research for an upcoming project in my company (it's a "port" of our current rich client software - a graphical business modeler - to a server based app) and I've came across Scout which looked very interesting (especially with the offline capabilities I've noticed) !

But, it seems to me that a Scout application is intended to be run on one server only (I've never seen a word about two or more servers), so I'm wondering about it's scalability... For instance, on average, how many users can a Scout app handle ? If this number is reached, is it possible to increase the capacity by adding a new server ? Is it something doable ? Is it an upcoming functionnality ? Or is it impossible ?

Thanks for your time

I can do anything and I can do it better than anyone. Be as I am : be the best ! Wink
Re: Scalability concerns [message #1034752 is a reply to message #1034645] Fri, 05 April 2013 21:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Hi Patrick

good news for you. Scout is a mature framework for business applications. Currently there are dozens applications productively running on Eclipse Scout. Some of these applications have more than thousand power users all over the world. Such a number of users can only be handled with server clusters.
We will investigate in a Wiki page facing the cluster ability of Eclipse Scout.

/andreas

Visit us at EclipseCon France.
Re: Scalability concerns [message #1035044 is a reply to message #1034645] Sat, 06 April 2013 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ivan Motsch is currently offline Ivan MotschFriend
Hi Patrick,

basically a scout application is no different from any other application build with swing, swt or web gui.
Seen from the outside, a scout server is a pure j2ee web application that communicates with the gui over https.
Scout services are normally stateless unless they do some performance caching.
So the only place doing persistence is the database, which is natural however.

Many of our customers are large enterprizes. The setup is different depending on the integration concept of each enterprize.

A typical setup that i often see and also recommend is the 4-security-layer topology consisting of Internet, external DMZ, internal DMZ, Data-Zone.

Data flows from outside in the following way:
[Internet] -> 2 reverse proxies
-> [external DMZ] -> 2 load balancers/forward proxies
-> [internal DMZ] -> 10 tomcat/jboss/websphere nodes -> Servlet/Scout webapp
-> Database cluster -> Database node
Re: Scalability concerns [message #1043301 is a reply to message #1035044] Wed, 17 April 2013 14:32 Go to previous message
Patrick Tournet is currently offline Patrick TournetFriend
Thanks both of you for those informations, this is indeed a very good news !
So, I've begun to walk through the tutorials to get familiar with the product and see how to do what we have in mind...

And, Andreas, I'm looking forward to meeting you in Toulouse...

I can do anything and I can do it better than anyone. Be as I am : be the best ! Wink
Previous Topic:init radio buttons
Next Topic:scout sources checkout - problem with RWT.HYPERLINK
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:09:26 GMT 2024