Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » turning off "content assist" or "completion"
turning off "content assist" or "completion" [message #1021527] Wed, 20 March 2013 09:18 Go to next message
Michael Mossey is currently offline Michael MosseyFriend
I'm fairly new to Eclipse, and I do Java and Python development. It's my first time using an IDE; previously I used Emacs.

I don't like that auto-completion suggestions pop up constantly while I'm typing. They are distracting and block my view of the code under the completion window. It's particularly bad in Python because there isn't declared typing, and whoever programmed auto completion in PyDev decided to just throw every suggestion under the sun at me every time I type a character or two. (Like suggesting "self" the instant I type an "s" anywhere in the code.)

I turned off "use auto completion" in the PyDev editor preferences, and it doesn't seem to affect the behavior at all. The window keeps popping up with all the same suggestions with no delay after I type a character.

So I would like to know how I can get that window to stop popping up. It seems to me that a reasonable behavior would be for the eclipse editor to refrain from popping up a window until I explicitly ask for it by typing Ctrl-space.

Mike
Re: turning off "content assist" or "completion" [message #1021667 is a reply to message #1021527] Wed, 20 March 2013 13:33 Go to previous message
Stephane Begaudeau is currently offline Stephane BegaudeauFriend

Hi,

PyDev is not a project maintained within the Eclipse Foundation and as such it would be best to ask this question to PyDev developers. Each editor can have its own behavior so they will be better suited to help you.

Regards,

Stephane Begaudeau, Obeo

--
Twitter: @sbegaudeau
Google+: +stephane.begaudeau
Blog: http://stephanebegaudeau.tumblr.com | Eclipse Java Development Tools Tips and Tricks
Previous Topic:cannot run jar file
Next Topic:Eclipse Juno provides highlighting and code hints/completion for LimeJs javascript game engine?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 19:08:13 GMT 2024