Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Industrial
Industrial [message #1017767] Tue, 12 March 2013 13:58 Go to next message
gr www is currently offline gr wwwFriend
Hi,

OK this has to be said. No matter what suggestions/solutions/tips are provided (and there seems to be million answers for any given question)... the harsh reality is that eclipse CDT just doesn't cut it compared to Visual Studion.

I know we'd all like to thrash microsoft and I know its not open source and you have to pay for it.. but at the end of the day I am 3 times as productive with Visual Studio than Eclipse CDT. I dont WANT to be 3 times as productive but I am.

The indexer is getting confused with the compiler (I'm running JUNO) and the "Open call hierarchy" simply isn't working.

I'm getting false errors at compile time and my (makefile based build) is stopping in error. However my .so is generated. Now in an already complex world, this kind of basic behaviour really has to be right from the get go.

I'm not ranting here, I'm just stating that this stuff works first time with VS. I don't actually want that to be the case but that is the case. And yes, I know that I might need to check/uncheck such and such an option in the GUI but that doesn't add to my productivity.... you understand what I mean.

Anyways, I just wanted to share that. The bottom line is productivity. Eclipse/CDT/C++ is a sore second place and that galls me. I WANT this stuff to come in first! Smile

cheers

Graham
Re: Industrial [message #1017774 is a reply to message #1017767] Tue, 12 March 2013 14:09 Go to previous message
gr www is currently offline gr wwwFriend
And... for the developers of CDT ... sorry but...

I'm actually using visual studio 2010 to write me functions, test them and validate them on Windoze before cut n pasting into Linux / Eclipse. Now that scares me ...

But Eclipse/CDT is just too slow... it lurgs along...

Again, not a rant. A reality for me. Sad

G
Previous Topic:How do I integrate custom compilers and linkers?
Next Topic:Problem with using windows resource files
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 13:17:20 GMT 2024