Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse RT (runtime) » Standalone Eclipse processes are still running after closing the viewer (Standalone Eclipse Help on Linux)
Standalone Eclipse processes are still running after closing the viewer [message #1017069] Fri, 08 March 2013 20:14
Ray Beheshti is currently offline Ray BeheshtiFriend
I am trying to run the "trimmed/standalone" version of Eclipse Help using a 'sh' script on RedHat 6 Linux system with JRE "1.6" and have a post-run issue where a java and eclipse processes (see below) are still running after I close the help browser (in Mozilla Firefox).

I used the instruction on "http://help.eclipse.org/galileo/index.jsp?topic=/org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/guide/ua_help_setup_standalone.htm" step-by-step to build the trimmed/standalone help version. All plugins dependencies have also been verified from the Assembly in each and every JAR file under the "plugins" folder.

I am using "eclipse-SDK-4.2.1-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.tar".

I am able to start and view the help without any issue. However, as soon as I close the Eclipse help viewer (Firefox), the script still remains and there are two processes that are still running. I have to do Ctrl-C to get back to the prompt and at that point the two processes are terminated as well. If I use the "&" within the script or on command line, when executing the script, the prompt is back right away, but the two processes would have to be killed manually, even after closing the help viewer. Here is the result of the "ps -ef" after the viewer is closed:

root 25068 25067 0 15:43 pts/1 00:00:00 /usr/local/pjre/bin/java -classpath ./eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.6.100.v201209141800.jar org.eclipse.help.standalone.Help -eclipsehome ./eclipse -command displayHelpWindow -vm /usr/local/pjre/bin/java -clean -noexec
root 25084 25068 13 15:43 pts/1 00:00:14 /usr/local/pjre/bin/java -cp plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.0.v20120522-1813.jar org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main -nosplash -application org.eclipse.help.base.helpApplication -data /usr/local/docs/./eclipse/workspace -clean

When I use the full version of Eclipse help, the prompt comes back right away after I close the viewer and no other processes are running.

Here is the content of the script I am using:

#!/bin/sh
#

/usr/local/pjre/bin/java \
-classpath ./eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.help.base_3.6.100.v201209141800.jar \
org.eclipse.help.standalone.Help \
-eclipsehome ./eclipse \
-command displayHelpWindow \
-vm /usr/local/pjre/bin/java \
-clean \
-noexec

The script is executed as 'root'.

Please let me know how I might be able to correct the issue so that as soon as the browser is closed, those processes are also terminated and the user is returned to the prompt. I appreciate any assistance. Also, please let me know if you need additional information.

Thank you in advance.
Ray.
Previous Topic:Eclipse command option
Next Topic:32 bit Eclipse 4.2 not working on a 64 bit Linux 6.2 server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:00:36 GMT 2024