Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Difficulties with tutorial examples(Cannot get past first base... basic window and menus, then nothing.)
icon5.gif  Difficulties with tutorial examples [message #1015844] Sun, 03 March 2013 17:36 Go to next message
Achim Schmitz is currently offline Achim Schmitz
Sorry if this all seems a bit basic, but I am definitely not a newcomer to eclipse. I am, however quite new to plugin development and an absolute novice where e4 is concerned.

I decided to do a few tutes to get up to speed with RCP and e4. I've now tried 3 and get the same result each time. I go through the following steps in (various order) but cannot get anything to work.

To date, beyond creating and running the initial app, I get nowhere. I even tried using Tom Schindl's live editor without any effect.

Since these are very basic tutes and I cannot find any other references to these sorts of problems in other forums, I assume I must be doing something really stupid. Or maybe I'm just missing the point of something.

Can anyone give me a hint where I should look to get things moving forward.

Thanks in advance.

Achim

[Updated on: Sun, 03 March 2013 17:42]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Difficulties with tutorial examples [message #1015885 is a reply to message #1015844] Mon, 04 March 2013 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dirk Fauth is currently offline Dirk Fauth
How do you create your project and app? Using the e4 wizards or by your own?

IMHO there are missing some addons in your Application.xmi ... but without further information on your project it is hard to say what's wrong.

Greez,
Dirk
Re: Difficulties with tutorial examples [message #1016010 is a reply to message #1015885] Mon, 04 March 2013 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your reply, Dirk. Your comment is very enlightening and I suspect you're right. However, I'm still uncertain as to how I can track the error down.

As for information about the project, I am not allowed to post the link (less than 5 posts, you see), but if you google "eclipse-4-final-sprint-part-1-the-e4-application-model" you will find it.

From years of Java Web development, I am in the habit of looking for run-time errors on the console. Last time I tried looking at the error log instead and found:

1. one error without a message that allegedly comes from org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench
  2. three "Unhandled event loop exception" errors arising from org.eclipse.ui

Stack trace from the first error is in the uploaded file 20120304_stack_trace_1.txt

Stack trace from the second error is in the uploaded file 20120304_stack_trace_2.txt:

Session Data:
Quote:

eclipse.buildId=M20120914-1800
java.version=1.6.0_20
java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
BootLoader constants: OS=linux, ARCH=x86, WS=gtk, NL=en_US
Framework arguments: -product org.eclipse.epp.package.rcp.product
Command-line arguments: -os linux -ws gtk -arch x86 -product org.eclipse.epp.package.rcp.product

I'm not sure how much all that helps. Maybe someone with a bit of time to spare and a better knowledge of e4 than me (not too difficult) could try running through that tutorial. It doesn't take long...

If it works, then a comparison of the e4xmi files might just indicate where I'm going wrong. I cannot post my e4xmi, because it contains links (that 5 posts resrtriction again). I've up loaded it as a file: 20130304_e4xmi.txt

I'm very grateful for any information anybody can give me.

Meanwhile I'm going to continue beating my brains out trying to solve this. I am living proof that, if you bang your head against a wall for long enough, the wall will crumble... as long as you don't bang it so hard that your head caves in! Smile

Cheers
Achim
Re: Difficulties with tutorial examples [message #1016022 is a reply to message #1016010] Mon, 04 March 2013 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe this forum topic helps http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/t/446481/
icon14.gif  Re: Difficulties with tutorial examples [message #1016696 is a reply to message #1016022] Thu, 07 March 2013 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Dirk, that did help.

The first entry contains a link to a tute by Lars Vogel. I read the list of typical launch problems and tried to understand what was happening in my case.

The big hint was the statement "Make sure that your product includes all required dependencies." Yes, that is a bit vague but I can put this into context for others who might be reading this.

Here's what I did:
1. Right click the product in eclipse
2. Select Run as... > Run configurations
3. Select the Plug-ins tab
4. Click the button labeled "Validate Plug-ins" (bottom right)
5. Eclipse lists the plug-ins it still requires in a pop-up
6. Select the missing plug-ins from the list (unfortunately you'll have to close the pop-up first)
7. Click "Add Required Plug-ins"
8. Click "Apply"
9. Repeat steps 4 - 8 until validation returns the message "No problems found"
10. Re-run the app...

This is not going to cure any and every ill, but it did get me to a point where changes to the app were reflected when it was launched. I still have the afforementioned errors in the error log, but they obviously have nothing to do with the main problem I had. I guess from that point of view my problem is solved.

A couple of points:
- Given my experience (above) it is a good idea to check the checkbox "Validate plug-ins prior to launching" in the run config plug-ins tab ... at least until you're sure there are no more plug-ins required.
- With regard to this forum editor, avoid using the list facility. I tried adding a numbered list but hitting the enter key instead of clicking "Add item" causes everything listed up to that point to be deleted. It happened to me twice!

Hope this information helps others.

Achim

P.S. Is there any difference between "run configuration" and "launch configuration"?

P.P.S. Important: See my next reply as well.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 March 2013 14:12]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Difficulties with tutorial examples [message #1016699 is a reply to message #1016696] Thu, 07 March 2013 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Great it helped. Missing dependencies is always a good point to start looking at. But there are a few more and it's good that Lars wrote them down. Smile

Quote:
Is there any difference between "run configuration" and "launch configuration"?

I think it's just wording
icon4.gif  Re: Difficulties with tutorial examples [message #1016739 is a reply to message #1016699] Thu, 07 March 2013 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I forgot to mention a change I made last time, which is pretty important. The info above is still relevant but the change that made the difference was on the "Main" tab in the run configuration. At the top there is a checkbox labelled "Clear" followed by two radio button options: "workspace" and "log only".

My changes only take effect when I check "Clear" and select the "workspace" option. Before the app runs, I am presented with a pop-up asking if I am sure that I want to clear the workspace. If I click "yes" then the changes are implemented. Otherwise the changes are not accepted.

A bit annoying. Still. slow progress is certainly better than none.
Re: Difficulties with tutorial examples [message #1016745 is a reply to message #1016739] Thu, 07 March 2013 14:31 Go to previous message
You can also use the clearPersistedState flag as described here http://www.vogella.com/articles/EclipseRCP/article.html#tutorial_e4wizard

Using this flag will clear the persisted state at startup (which is really helpful for development) without asking you everytime
Previous Topic:Popup menu for canvas
Next Topic:Trying to get E4 services
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Sep 20 04:14:57 GMT 2014