Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BIRT » PDF emitter page overflow configuration
PDF emitter page overflow configuration [message #1015747] Sat, 02 March 2013 03:48 Go to next message
John 555 is currently offline John 555Friend
Hello,

I noticed that when I export a report as a PDF from the BIRT web viewer, the page overflow behavior is different than what happens when I run it programmatically through the report engine API. Exporting from the web viewer allows dynamic page breaks within statically sized grids, while running the report programmatically does not.

I have attached an example report. If I open this report in the report designer and click View Report as PDF, the resulting report is only 1 page long. The PDF emitter appears to use the CLIP_CONTENT option from the IPDFRenderOption class. However, if I click View Report in Web Viewer, and in the web viewer use the Export Report button to export a PDF, 53 pages are produced.

What I need to know is how to get the PDF emitter to allow page breaks as it does in the web emitter through the report engine API. I tried the following code to set an option in my PDFRenderOption, but it didn't change the behavior.

renderOption.setOption(IPDFRenderOption.PAGE_OVERFLOW, IPDFRenderOption. OUTPUT_TO_MULTIPLE_PAGES);

Does anyone know how to get this to work?

[Updated on: Mon, 04 March 2013 14:20]

Report message to a moderator

Re: PDF emitter page overflow configuration [message #1016044 is a reply to message #1015747] Mon, 04 March 2013 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

Are you using separate run and render task? That is required for pagination.

Jason
Re: PDF emitter page overflow configuration [message #1016288 is a reply to message #1016044] Tue, 05 March 2013 20:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John 555 is currently offline John 555Friend
Hello Jason,

I tried that, and it fixed my problem. I appreciate your assistance.

John
Re: PDF emitter page overflow configuration [message #1027981 is a reply to message #1016044] Wed, 27 March 2013 17:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henning von Bargen is currently offline Henning von BargenFriend
Why are separate Run and Render tasks required for pagination?

We are using RunAndRenderTask with great success for PDF generation!

The only "little" issue is that page numbering doesn't work nice;
we found a work-around for this with a PostProcessor using iText.
Re: PDF emitter page overflow configuration [message #1028063 is a reply to message #1027981] Wed, 27 March 2013 19:50 Go to previous message
Jason Weathersby is currently offline Jason WeathersbyFriend

With a runandrender task pagination will show up in pdf, but to support the full pagination and event model both are required. You can always delete the rptdocument when you are finished as well. Thanks for the tip.

Previous Topic:Pagination, Run Task, Render Task, and Writing to Disk
Next Topic:Numberformatting on crosstab-columns through apply style
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Nov 22 03:14:05 GMT 2014