Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » GEF » draw2d without GEF in an e4 environment
draw2d without GEF in an e4 environment [message #1014905] Tue, 26 February 2013 17:42 Go to next message
Marina Knieling is currently offline Marina KnielingFriend
Hi there,

is it possible to use pure draw2d (or maybe Zest) in an e4 environment without compatibility layer? So can I create a Part with Figures in it?

What about listening for events, e.g. moving or clicking on a figure. Will there be any problems concerning the interoperability between the draw2d listeners and those provided by e4?

If I wanted any data binding between those figures and my EMF models, would I have to implement this on my own then or is there any other possibility of doing that? I can't use GEF as it isn't ported to e4 yet and unfortunately I cannot wait till it is (bachelor project).

I have the book about GEF by Rubel and Clayberg and the chapter about GEF Models (chapter 8) gives some hints on coupling the model and the figures without using GEF.

Thanks for any hints on how to put those 2 frameworks together

Marina
Re: draw2d without GEF in an e4 environment [message #1014926 is a reply to message #1014905] Tue, 26 February 2013 20:24 Go to previous message
Zoltan Ujhelyi is currently offline Zoltan UjhelyiFriend
Hi,

there shouldn't be any serious interoperability issue between e4 and Draw2d/Zest, as they are operating purely on the widget level. In other words, as long as you are creating an SWT-based GUI, Draw2d/Zest should work as expected. About listeners: Draw2d and e4 listeners are used to different reasons/data content, so if you need to use them together, you will possibly need minor adapting, but nothing e4-specific.

On the other hand, GEF does not work without the compatibility layer, as it introduces workbench-level elements such as editors and commands that are handled differently in e4.

Cheers,
Zoltán
Previous Topic:customize gridlayout
Next Topic:highlight my node
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 13:19:54 GMT 2024