Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » BPMN 2.0 Modeler » extensionElements and CallActivity(extension Elements possible? CallActivity expand to different Process File)
extensionElements and CallActivity [message #1007755] Thu, 07 February 2013 12:20 Go to next message
Björn Rellesch is currently offline Björn RelleschFriend
Hello,

I have two questions:
1.)Is it possible to add own extension elements to put proprietary values into the BPMN-Model?
To add values into the "Property List" I have to create a "data type". That is not what I want.

2.)I want to call a process B from a Process A. I use the "Call Activity". Is it possible to select process B from the workspace? What steps I have to do? Supports the BPMN2 Modeler a jump to the called process if I klick on the + in the Call Activity Symbol?

We use Eclipse Juno.

kind regards
Björn
Re: extensionElements and CallActivity [message #1007802 is a reply to message #1007755] Thu, 07 February 2013 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Robert Brodt is currently offline Robert BrodtFriend

Hi Björn,

1. yes, there are several examples of how to extend the BPMN2 model in the org.eclipse.bpmn2.modeler.runtime.example plugin. I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do though. Are you asking if it's possible to inject ItemDefinitions into a model so they are available for selection in the Property List?

2. this depends on the execution engine you are targeting: if you are using jBPM you just need to enter the process ID of the Called Activity (sorry, no validation is done here since the process may or may not have been defined yet); if you are using the generic editor (the so-called "None" or default Target Runtime) then you must first add the external process to the "Import List" from the "Definitions" property tab. The external process should then be available from the Called Activity combobox, like so:

http://content.screencast.com/users/rbrodt/folders/Jing/media/4f9fc60f-8779-4ab1-ac94-e3ee15fd897e/2013-02-07_0730.png

http://content.screencast.com/users/rbrodt/folders/Jing/media/3eba9bb2-524a-4e55-9079-e3ae581b6a7c/2013-02-07_0733.png

The "+" button on the Call Activity creates a Process within the current file.

One of the features I've been thinking about is adding DND support from the Navigator window to let you drop a bpmn file onto the canvas (which would create the Import) or an Activity (which would link the Call Activity to the external process).

Cheers,
Bob
Re: extensionElements and CallActivity [message #1007842 is a reply to message #1007755] Thu, 07 February 2013 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Björn Rellesch is currently offline Björn RelleschFriend
Hi Bob,

thank you for your Reply.

1.)
I saw the e.g. SampleRiskTaskPropertySection.java, but that is now what I want.
I want to do this:
<serviceTask id="MyServiceTask1" name="MyServiceTask1" implementation="XY JavaClass">
<extensionElements>
<activiti:field name="CallStatistic">
<activiti:string>TRUE</activiti:string>
</activiti:field>
</extensionElements>
</serviceTask>
If I want to add the property graphically to the model using the generic editor, I have to do this in the "Property List" in the "Task" tab in the Service Task Element (I think). Therefore I have to create a "Data Type"/"itemDefinition".

<bpmn2:serviceTask id="ServiceTask_1" name="Service Task 1">
<bpmn2:incoming>SequenceFlow_1</bpmn2:incoming>
<bpmn2:outgoing>SequenceFlow_3</bpmn2:outgoing>
<bpmn2:property id="Property_1" itemSubjectRef="ItemDefinition_2" name="CallStatistic"/>
</bpmn2:serviceTask>

<bpmn2:itemDefinition id="ItemDefinition_1" itemKind="Physical" structureRef="true"/>
<bpmn2:itemDefinition id="ItemDefinition_2" itemKind="Physical" structureRef="false"/>

In my opinion the <extensionElements>-tag is the better choice for us special properties, cause "CallStatistic" is proprietary and has nothing to do with any standards (see Spec BPMN2 chapter "Extensibility"). If I'm wrong please tell me...

2.)
Process "A" calls process "VorgangUpdate.bpmn".
I got the following error, if I try to import the Process into the "Import List" (I use the generic editor):
"Failes to load platform:/resource/org.example.BPMNModeler/src/VorgangUpdate.bpmn"

Greets
Björn
Re: extensionElements and CallActivity [message #1007867 is a reply to message #1007842] Thu, 07 February 2013 20:14 Go to previous message
Robert Brodt is currently offline Robert BrodtFriend

Hmmm, ok....

1. I'm assuming you have already created an EMF model for your extension elements. If not, this should be your first step! Again, refer to the example plugin for details. I think your model should look something like this (maybe?)

http://content.screencast.com/users/rbrodt/folders/Jing/media/ab98da8c-6c63-469e-b35b-924ffdaf88b2/2013-02-07_1313.png

There have been several questions and much confusion over this topic, so I will be posting a screencast on the project website (soon-ish) that walks through the entire process of adding extension elements.

2. Oops! Yes, I saw that there was a slight...issue with selecting and creating targets for CallActivity, CallChoreography and CallConversation - this has been fixed in today's release 0.2.2

Let me know if you need more help.

Cheers,
Bob
Previous Topic:Remove shelf from pallette
Next Topic:Release 0.2.2 now available
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 03:20:13 GMT 2024