Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Model-to-Model Transformation » Large Model, minor changes
Large Model, minor changes [message #1007067] Mon, 04 February 2013 10:19 Go to next message
Matthias N is currently offline Matthias NFriend
Messages: 65
Registered: June 2012
Member
Hi,
I haven't done very much in M2M, but before I start, I want to have your opinion:


We have a very big Ecore meta-model (~500 classes), lets call it "A".

Now, we have another Ecore meta-mdoel ("B"), which is almost similiar to "A" but does have about 20 deviations.


What I now want to do is to transform "B" -> "A" and "A" -> "B".

Can you tell me what the best approach would be and how complex this would be?

Thank you very much
Matthias
Re: Large Model, minor changes [message #1007075 is a reply to message #1007067] Mon, 04 February 2013 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Messages: 4186
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi

500 classes is not 'very big'. The corresponding model with 500,000
objects might be.

Ideally you want a bidirectional transformation language such as QVTr,
however the main Eclipse implementations only support editing today. You
could try the Medini or ModelMorf implementations.

Alternatively you can implement two unidirectional transformations, in
which case your choices are at least
- QVTo (most standard)
- ATL (most mature)
- Xtend2 (most Java-like)
- Epsilon (most diverse)
- Viatra2 (most unknown to me)

With only 20 deviations, handcrafted Java and mapping tools may also be
options

Regards

Ed Willink



On 04/02/2013 10:19, Matthias N wrote:
> Hi,
> I haven't done very much in M2M, but before I start, I want to have
> your opinion:
>
>
> We have a very big Ecore meta-model (~500 classes), lets call it "A".
>
> Now, we have another Ecore meta-mdoel ("B"), which is almost similiar
> to "A" but does have about 20 deviations.
>
>
> What I now want to do is to transform "B" -> "A" and "A" -> "B".
> Can you tell me what the best approach would be and how complex this
> would be?
>
> Thank you very much
> Matthias
>
Re: Large Model, minor changes [message #1007079 is a reply to message #1007075] Mon, 04 February 2013 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias N is currently offline Matthias NFriend
Messages: 65
Registered: June 2012
Member
Hi Ed,
thank you very much for your answer.

Is it possible to only define the deviations in the M2M transformatino language, or do I really have to specify every transformation rule of the entire meta-model by hand?
Re: Large Model, minor changes [message #1007095 is a reply to message #1007079] Mon, 04 February 2013 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Messages: 4186
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi

I don't really understand the question.

Some transformations languages have a default copy behaviour so that you
only need to worry about differences.

Regards

Ed Willink


On 04/02/2013 11:16, Matthias N wrote:
> Hi Ed,
> thank you very much for your answer.
>
> Is it possible to only define the deviations in the M2M transformatino
> language, or do I really have to specify every transformation rule of
> the entire meta-model by hand?
Re: Large Model, minor changes [message #1007438 is a reply to message #1007095] Tue, 05 February 2013 20:56 Go to previous message
Dennis Wagelaar is currently offline Dennis WagelaarFriend
Messages: 171
Registered: September 2012
Senior Member

Op 04-02-13 13:42, Ed Willink schreef:
> Hi
>
> I don't really understand the question.
>
> Some transformations languages have a default copy behaviour so that you only
> need to worry about differences.
>
> Regards
>
> Ed Willink
>
>
> On 04/02/2013 11:16, Matthias N wrote:
>> Hi Ed,
>> thank you very much for your answer.
>>
>> Is it possible to only define the deviations in the M2M transformatino
>> language, or do I really have to specify every transformation rule of the
>> entire meta-model by hand?
>

For the ATL solution, see this thread:
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php/m/535170/

Regards,
Dennis


Cheers,
Dennis
Previous Topic:org.eclipse.emf.mwe.utils.Reader is not working
Next Topic:"Many-Model to Model" transformation with qvto?
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Dec 19 00:02:33 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.02446 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software