Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse launcher unable for find shared library error(Unable to launch eclipse.)
Eclipse launcher unable for find shared library error [message #1006310] Wed, 30 January 2013 18:57 Go to next message
john.garrett@st.com Garrett is currently offline john.garrett@st.com GarrettFriend
I downloaded and unzipped eclipse-cpp-juno-win32-x86-64.zip. I have Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06) installed. Whenever I launce eclipse.exe I get an errror dialog displayed stating "The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its companion shared library. I get the same error message when using eclipse downloaded with eclipse-jee-juno-SR1-win32-x86_64.zip. I've tried searching the eclipse executable for the shared library name, but was unable to find a string matching a shared library (*.dll). The eclipse.ini file has reference to a launcher.library entry. The path listed with the launcher.library exists with an eclipse_1503.dll file within it. I tried adding the dll file name to the path, but it didn't solve the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Re: Eclipse launcher unable for find shared library error [message #1006367 is a reply to message #1006310] Thu, 31 January 2013 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
John,

Is the JRE being used by your launcher (and used within your IDE as the
target) also a 64 bit JRE?

On 30/01/2013 9:37 PM, john.garrett@xxxxxxxx Garrett wrote:
> I downloaded and unzipped eclipse-cpp-juno-win32-x86-64.zip. I have
> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06) installed.
> Whenever I launce eclipse.exe I get an errror dialog displayed stating
> "The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its companion
> shared library. I get the same error message when using eclipse
> downloaded with eclipse-jee-juno-SR1-win32-x86_64.zip. I've tried
> searching the eclipse executable for the shared library name, but was
> unable to find a string matching a shared library (*.dll). The
> eclipse.ini file has reference to a launcher.library entry. The path
> listed with the launcher.library exists with an eclipse_1503.dll file
> within it. I tried adding the dll file name to the path, but it
> didn't solve the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse launcher unable for find shared library error [message #1008070 is a reply to message #1006310] Fri, 08 February 2013 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lorenzo Bettini is currently offline Lorenzo BettiniFriend
On 01/30/2013 09:37 PM, john.garrett@xxxxxxxx Garrett wrote:
> I downloaded and unzipped eclipse-cpp-juno-win32-x86-64.zip. I have
> Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06) installed.
> Whenever I launce eclipse.exe I get an errror dialog displayed stating
> "The Eclipse executable launcher was unable to locate its companion
> shared library. I get the same error message when using eclipse
> downloaded with eclipse-jee-juno-SR1-win32-x86_64.zip. I've tried
> searching the eclipse executable for the shared library name, but was
> unable to find a string matching a shared library (*.dll). The
> eclipse.ini file has reference to a launcher.library entry. The path
> listed with the launcher.library exists with an eclipse_1503.dll file
> within it. I tried adding the dll file name to the path, but it didn't
> solve the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Although I'm not using windows much, this error happened to me as well
when I unzipped eclipse into a deep folder structure (don't remember the
number of folders...)

have you tried unzipping it, let's say, into C:\ directly?

hope this helps
Lorenzo

--
Lorenzo Bettini, PhD in Computer Science, DI, Univ. Torino
HOME: http://www.lorenzobettini.it

Re: Eclipse launcher unable for find shared library error [message #1155541 is a reply to message #1008070] Sat, 26 October 2013 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perico De los Palotes is currently offline Perico De los PalotesFriend
I found a lot of material and 'solutions', I will help with the one I found:

The problem was that WinRar, when unzipping (unraring), creates a folder with the same name as the .zip (.rar), and inside another one, again, with the same name!!! The solution is simple: Copy and paste the inner elements into the outer, geniune, folder, and delete the inner one. That way, the route will be OK as read from the launcher.
Re: Eclipse launcher unable for find shared library error [message #1414447 is a reply to message #1006310] Sun, 31 August 2014 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rune Hvalsøe is currently offline Rune HvalsøeFriend
I had the same problem, installing it Eclipse on Win7, the my problem was related to that I copied the Eclipse file to my desktop and tried to run it from there, I removed the copy and created a short-cut instead and then it works.
Re: Eclipse launcher unable for find shared library error [message #1554009 is a reply to message #1414447] Fri, 09 January 2015 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony Iacovelli is currently offline Anthony IacovelliFriend
Ok! Friggin A! I did the same thing and it worked. Thanks for posting this Very Happy .
Re: Eclipse launcher unable for find shared library error [message #1719625 is a reply to message #1155541] Sun, 10 January 2016 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kamraan syed is currently offline kamraan syedFriend
Hi,
Thanks for your help.
It applied to my Win 10 (updated from Win 7 32-bit) machine.
I tried your suggestion below knowing that it related to inner elements - I re-extracted the archive zip files and launched eclipse executable with success. The inner most eclipse executable just would not work but the outer one worked. So deleted the inner most entry.
Kam
Re: Eclipse launcher unable for find shared library error [message #1790966 is a reply to message #1006310] Wed, 20 June 2018 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Felix S is currently offline Felix SFriend
Guys,

there is a simple solution for this. Or at least a good way to diagnose this:

open your eclipse.ini and check the path of:
--launcher.library
C:\Users\<yourUsername_or_path_toBundlepool>\.p2\pool\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_64_1.1.551.v20171108-1834

As some others replied already. Another reason can be, that the eclipse installation or RCP is installed in a too deep path under Windows. Moving the whole Eclipse Installation or RCP can help.
Re: Eclipse launcher unable for find shared library error [message #1793620 is a reply to message #1006310] Sun, 12 August 2018 00:25 Go to previous message
Lyle Ziegelmiller is currently offline Lyle ZiegelmillerFriend
For me, I had to delete the .p2 directory (sibling of the AppData directory) and the .eclipse directory (also sibling of the AppData directory). Then I deleted the Eclipse installation, etc., and the installation file that I'd downloaded. I also deleted all registry entries that contained eclipse. Then I downloaded the installation file again and installed Eclipse and then it worked.

I think I got into this mess because I had to do a system restore to fix my start menu (it wasn't working).
Previous Topic:Internal implementation of java doc hover view feature in Eclipse
Next Topic:Warning: You are installing software that contains unsigned content.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:13:05 GMT 2024