Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Help System(Work in progress? Timetable?)
Help System [message #1006309] Wed, 30 January 2013 18:50 Go to next message
Jo Jaquinta is currently offline Jo JaquintaFriend

The e4 application model solves a lot of the problems we're hitting as we move our RCP based application into its 3rd release. I had already started prototyping the new UI and training my team and I discovered a major hole: no help system.
I've search the web and these forums and mostly just found "yep, it's not there" responses. I can't release a professional product without an integrated help system. Especially as it was one of the most praised features of the previous two releases. I image just about anyone else wanting to use e4 is in the same boat.
Does anyone have a status on this? Is there a working system that I haven't seen? Or a way to use the workbench based help without having to drag in the whole workbench model? Or is there a team or user group working on this, and what's their timetable?
I really want to move my product to the e4 model, but my team doesn't have the resources to write or port the entire help system myself. If this has already been started, I might be able to argue for committing some of my resources to helping the effort out. (That's how open source is supposed to work, right?)
Can anyone give me the status of this, or point me in the right direction?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jo Grant, Senior Software Engineer
Admin and Config Console Architect
OpenPages, IBM
Re: Help System [message #1006542 is a reply to message #1006309] Thu, 31 January 2013 15:50 Go to previous message
Sopot Cela is currently offline Sopot CelaFriend

If you get no response here I suggest you copy-paste this issue in the e4-dev mailing list. It's full of committers there and one of us might have an answer.
Previous Topic:How to get objects be injected into an preference page?
Next Topic:P2 UI menu contributions in E4 application
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Dec 18 12:31:16 GMT 2014