Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Plugin Development Environment (PDE) » How to get event on eclipse plugin installation / updation ?
How to get event on eclipse plugin installation / updation ? [message #1001637] Thu, 17 January 2013 00:16 Go to next message
Sanjay Jain is currently offline Sanjay Jain
I am developing a custom eclipse plugin. My requirement is to get an event as the eclipse plugin install or update completes.

It can be either before restart of eclipse or after restart of eclipse.

In case of plugin install I require an event because as plugin installed successfully I want to show a customized message of successful installation.

In case of plugin update I require an event to make some changes in some of my work space files.

Please suggest me how Can I come to know that install / update completed and from where I can call my procedures.
Re: How to get event on eclipse plugin installation / updation ? [message #1003644 is a reply to message #1001637] Mon, 21 January 2013 12:14 Go to previous message
Curtis Windatt is currently offline Curtis Windatt
A couple ideas:

1) Rather than trying to display a message after restart, consider contributing to the welcome screen which will open after the installation is modified and restarted.

2) You can use p2 touchpoint to perform custom installation steps, but you won't be able to modify the workspace as the user can choose their workspace on startup.

3) When your plug-in is activated, you could run a Job that would check the workspace to see if it needs changing. For an example, Platform Debug has a 'migration' framework that will offer to migrate existing launch configurations when a different version has been installed.
Previous Topic:How to execute code before saving?
Next Topic:Property sheet focus issue
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Jul 24 19:05:22 EDT 2014