Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Visual Editor (VE) » What is the status of this project?
What is the status of this project? [message #145265] Tue, 15 July 2008 01:08 Go to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: russell.thamm.dsto.defence.gov.au

If there is anyone actively working on this project, can you PLEASE supply
a status report?

Is the apparent lack of progress due to lack of developers or is there
some basic design problem?

How much effort is required to produce a version for Ganymede?

Is this project in danger of expiring or is it already dead?

I consider Visual Editor to be a vital component for Java Development
under Eclipse. There appears to be no other viable (non-commercial) option.

I think that a lot of users would like to know what the current situation
is.

Cheers
Russell
Re: What is the status of this project? [message #145273 is a reply to message #145265] Thu, 24 July 2008 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: emailmuell.posur.com

"Russell Thamm" <russell.thamm@dsto.defence.gov.au> wrote

> If there is anyone actively working on this project, can you PLEASE supply
> a status report?

No answer for ten days, it seems there ist noone officially working on this
project.

> Is this project in danger of expiring or is it already dead?

The project has died Tue, 30 Jan 2007 -- 11:17
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/ve/downloads/
Maybe it can be reanimated.

> I consider Visual Editor to be a vital component for Java Development
> under Eclipse. There appears to be no other viable (non-commercial)
> option.

So do I.
I used Eclipse for some small Amateur projects. I still use Version 3.2 for
my old projects. For newer projects I went over to Netbeans, because I need
a visual editor for Java Programming. I think the non-Amateurs will get a
commercial visual editor or they don't need one.
I still use Eclipse for php-Projects.

> I think that a lot of users would like to know what the current situation
> is.

Yes, I'm one of them.
Re: What is the status of this project? [message #145275 is a reply to message #145265] Fri, 25 July 2008 13:39 Go to previous message
Remy Suen is currently offline Remy Suen
Messages: 462
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 01:08:44 +0000, Russell Thamm wrote:
> How much effort is required to produce a version for Ganymede?

You can try to use the 3.4RC2 build.
http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.tools.ve/msg07 723.html

I'm not on the VE team so I can't answer exactly answer any of your other
questions.

Rem
Re: What is the status of this project? [message #617251 is a reply to message #145265] Thu, 24 July 2008 13:26 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: emailmuell.posur.com

"Russell Thamm" <russell.thamm@dsto.defence.gov.au> wrote

> If there is anyone actively working on this project, can you PLEASE supply
> a status report?

No answer for ten days, it seems there ist noone officially working on this
project.

> Is this project in danger of expiring or is it already dead?

The project has died Tue, 30 Jan 2007 -- 11:17
http://download.eclipse.org/tools/ve/downloads/
Maybe it can be reanimated.

> I consider Visual Editor to be a vital component for Java Development
> under Eclipse. There appears to be no other viable (non-commercial)
> option.

So do I.
I used Eclipse for some small Amateur projects. I still use Version 3.2 for
my old projects. For newer projects I went over to Netbeans, because I need
a visual editor for Java Programming. I think the non-Amateurs will get a
commercial visual editor or they don't need one.
I still use Eclipse for php-Projects.

> I think that a lot of users would like to know what the current situation
> is.

Yes, I'm one of them.
Re: What is the status of this project? [message #617252 is a reply to message #145265] Fri, 25 July 2008 13:39 Go to previous message
Eclipse User
Originally posted by: remy.suen.gmail.com

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 01:08:44 +0000, Russell Thamm wrote:
> How much effort is required to produce a version for Ganymede?

You can try to use the 3.4RC2 build.
http://dev.eclipse.org/newslists/news.eclipse.tools.ve/msg07 723.html

I'm not on the VE team so I can't answer exactly answer any of your other
questions.

Rem
Previous Topic:Accessing the property of widgets
Next Topic:[ANN] Build for Eclipse 3.4 RC2
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Oct 24 15:40:35 GMT 2014

Powered by FUDForum. Page generated in 0.07099 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.2.
Copyright ©2001-2010 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software