Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » "Upgrade" a Helios based Product + IDE to 3.8.2 Juno SR2?(A quest to find out which would be the latest and greatest 3.x release)
"Upgrade" a Helios based Product + IDE to 3.8.2 Juno SR2? [message #998234] Wed, 09 January 2013 16:11
Dan H.Friend
Hi everyone,

first of all if this is the wrong place for this post and you have the abilities to move it to somewhere where it belongs ... please feel free to do as you see fit! TIA.

I am troubled with finding a way to "upgrade" my helios based rcp-product plus an IDE to develop it in to the "latest and greatest" eclipse 3.x build.

In my opinion the most fitting solution here seems to be:

- wait until end of february when the SR2 of Juno (for both 4.x and 3.8.x) arrives
- setup my IDE based on the 3.8.2 drop including all needed plugins manually
- recreate my Targetplatform based on 3.8.2
- edit my rcp-product so that it is based on 3.8.2 rcp/targetplatform accordingly

Question a)
Is the previous listed solution fitting if i have a strong wish *not* to switch to 4.x yet but still to get the latest 3.x release?

Question b)
Is there any source in the interwebs or elswhere (which i may be pointed to) which could inform me of either the dismissal or admission of further development in eclipse 3.x ?(e.g. will there be further 3.8.x or maybe even a 3.9.x release?) This concerns me, because if there will be e.g. a 3.8.3 release i am not able to upgrade my then set up 3.8.2 to 3.8.3 easily, or will it? I read some post that because there is no 3.8.x juno update-site i would have to do the described dance again if i might want to update to a possibly then existing SR3 (highly hypothetical, i know)

Question c)
If the former questions are not easily answerable ... could you hint me at a way to get information about it? I am currently playing in my mind with the thought of opening a bug somewhere about Question b but how and where and how not to have it closed as wontfix or smth like that...

Question e)
How do i find out if you even read this far and furthermore how can i make sure that you know that i appreciate the effort if you did? (hah, by reading this i think i solved the last one already ... hopefully :blush: )

Anyways ... thank you for opening this post and propably having read some of it :o)

Thank you in Advance,
Daniel
Previous Topic:Problem with a Job blocking save and build operations
Next Topic:Eclipse goes blank (entire UI turns white)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Nov 28 06:17:32 GMT 2014